Help! Issues with Berea Olmsted ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hbillings

Let me start by saying "wow - I love the look and feel of this kit!" If that were not true, I wouldn't be trying so hard to get it right.

Here is a link to the kit.

I have about 1,000 pens under my belt, so I suppose that means I'm not a novice.
I have followed the instructions as closely as possible. I use a caliper to measure where to part the blank for the center band, I make sure both barrels are perfectly clean, and I test that the twist mechanism slides through the upper barrel freely before pressing. And I am very careful to press the parts straight and true.

Each of my first 3 attempts has resulted in non-functioning pens. I cannot for the life of me figure out why, and I can say I've never had this trouble with any other kit. I am also interested in the cigar style, which I've noticed has the same twist mechanism.

I really want to get this right and would appreciate any tips from experience you've had with the Olmsted ballpoint pen kits.

Thanks in advance!
Herb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When you assemble the pen, test its operation BEFORE you push the top over the transmission.
Does it work, without the top on?

REMEMBER this is a two way transmission, the refill will be extended when twisted fully right OR left, it is retracted only in the middle transmission position.

magpens

When you say "non-functioning" what, specifically, do you mean ?

Can you twist the cap in both directions ? . If you can, then I presume that the refill does not extend/retract (perhaps due to faulty transmission).
If you can't .... hmmmm.

The instructions emphasize that the transmission must slide freely through the brass tube of the upper barrel

Last edited:

hbillings

When you assemble the pen, test its operation BEFORE you push the top over the transmission.
Does it work, without the top on?

REMEMBER this is a two way transmission, the refill will be extended when twisted fully right OR left, it is retracted only in the middle transmission position.
Yes, it works before pressing into the finial, and it works after pressing into the finial.

hbillings

When you say "non-functioning" what, specifically, do you mean ?

Can you twist the cap in both directions ? . If you can, then I presume that the refill does not extend/retract (perhaps due to faulty transmission).
If you can't .... hmmmm.

The instructions emphasize that the transmission must slide freely through the brass tube of the upper barrel
Yeah, that's a really important bit of information I should have addressed. I screw the bottom piece into the top piece. When it's fully screwed in, I'm unable to twist any further, and reversing the twist just unscrews the bottom from the top.

I triple-checked that the transmission slides freely through the tube of the upper barrel.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sounds like the transmission grease is too tight. Take off the top half and put the transmission together, operate it for several minutes back and forth. You will probably hear a squooshing sound, that is the grease. IF you operate it often enough this will start to act more like a liquid and the tranny will work better.

I have been told (I have not tried and confirmed) that you can put WD40 on the transmission and work it into the mechanism and it will function better. Interested in comments from those who have tried this, especially a better explanation of WHERE to put the WD 40.

randyrls

I have in the past dripped 3-4 drops of denatured alcohol into the top of the bare tranny. Work the transmission back and forth several times and blow out. Sometimes the outside of transmissions are "sticky" and the DNA removes the anti-corrosion protection (???) on the outside.

pshrynk

Ed: WD40, being of the three basic forces of the universe, (duct tape and zip ties for the curious) can cure just about anything. Except sticky scrambled eggs. That stuff's nasty.

hbillings

@magpens, @ed4copies, @randyrls and @pshrynk - here's your update.

What we have here is an embarrassing failure on my part. After pressing (and ruining) 9 pens, I realized that significant work is required to file down the brass tube after pressing the center band. I was performing my transmission test prior to pressing the center band, even though the clear instructions told me otherwise. Well, at least NOW they are clear to me. I really like this kit so I'll probably try it again in the future, just not anytime soon. I need something to get my confidence back....

Thanks again!

Top Bottom