Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marine Wife

Hello everyone,

I am somewhat new to this site, I say somewhat because my husband "Jyreene" has been on here for a while and always shows me things from the various threads. Seems like a good group of people on here!

I just completed about 9 years of Naval service and decided to take on the job of "stay at home mom" for a change of pace. Our first baby is due this October! :) We're both very excited and can't wait to greet the little guy or girl (we chose to be surprised with the sex)!

Right now we're only turning pens but I would love to move on to something bigger, like bowls. Hopefully once the baby is here and we're settled in our new location of southern California, I'll be able to pursue that area of interest. :rolleyes:

I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible. Good luck with your current and future projects!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Welcome! I'm glad to see your interest in this (his) hobby. There is so much to learn here and all it takes is time to learn. Have fun.

dntrost

Hey glad you introduced yourself. I guess I just thought you were landing in Houston Area are you headed to Camp Pendleton? That is where we grew up both my & my wifes father were lifers and stationed at Pendleton for 15+ years. Look forward to meeting you when you make it to Houston...
Sounds like you have gotten into this with both feet (well four feet if you count the two in the oven) :biggrin::tongue:

jyreene

YEAH, it's about damn time you introduced yourself honey! Yes, she does have the better CA finish...for now mwuahahaha....

Welcome

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome from Japan, Amanda.

Your husband has already received a greeting like this, and since your CA finish is better :wink: than his you don't need most of the information in link below, but I am posting it anyway. It is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

There will be some new links coming in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

Glad to have more husband /wife teams here! Inter-family Pen Competition is good! :biggrin:

jyreene

Glad to have more husband /wife teams here! Inter-family Pen Competition is good! :biggrin:

Is it really a competition when I have so much to catch up...even though I've done more?

We do need to post our pen picks but we just keep forgetting to take pictures.

afdad

Welcome, Amanda. I'm really new...my wife doesn't turn...I, too, thank you both for your service to our country...our son is an AF pilot in Okinawa- AWACS E-3...

Congratulations on your coming new arrival, what a joy the baby will be to you both!!

Bill

jyreene

Welcome to IAP Amanda, I'm from Australia and been made welcome here. One BIG problem Jyreene, she'll take no lip from you, if it's her turn to turn, then you had better step aside!!! Amos

That's why we are buying two lathes! Yeah I know how awesome is that my wife actually wants to get two so we can both turn!

And yes she is special and even though she is little she can whoop my butt!

Fred

Lets see now ... HE turns, SHE turns, and the new little one will surely turn so I see Shop Expansion in the near future. Best plan on a big shop early on since it easier to fill a shop up than it is to add space on later.

Welcome to the Forum. Check in often and join in the discussions here. We are all friendly and look forward to seeing your work.

Mucho congratulations on the impending arrival. Thank You both for your time and service/dedication to this country. You are both definitely appreciated!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Amanda, Welcome from sunny southern California! Weather's HOT - but there are a few little pockets of ocean breezes you can smell as the breeze blows all the lathe shavings into your hubby's area . . . to clean.

Glad to have you and congrats to both on your new addition.

jyreene

I'll be fine with that Cathy Sue because that means, 1) I am in the states and 2) we have two lathes (which means we finally have a shop!)

Marine Wife

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and congratulations on the baby! We have a good time turning and I'll try to find some pics of the pens we've already made to post for you all to see.:)

Top Bottom