Hello from Warsaw, OH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BuckeyeNut71

HI! Thank you for accepting me into the group! I live near Warsaw, OH, and am retired. I bought a used small Jet 1014 to see if I would like turning. I have played around making a few pens and other small turnings. It does get addictive, For Christmas I got a new Jet 1221. I joined the Facebook Pen Turners Group and started following some of the comments there. I saw a reference there to Rick Herrell's sanding jig and someone posted a link to his "Custom Made Tools" - which brought me to IAP. As I perused the IAP site, I quickly realized what a great site you have! I wish I'd found it sooner!

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here....but you guys already know that! Thanks again for approving me and I look forward to learning more about pen turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

Welcome from Akron.
We have a very active local chapter here in NEO.
Covid has slowed us down, but we are about to get running again. We meet every other month at Hartville Hardware and have a great time.
Please feel free to join us.
The next meeting will be announced very soon in the local chapters area of the IAP

BuckeyeNut71

Welcome from Akron.
We have a very active local chapter here in NEO.
Covid has slowed us down, but we are about to get running again. We meet every other month at Hartville Hardware and have a great time.
Please feel free to join us.
The next meeting will be announced very soon in the local chapters area of the IAP
Thanks for the welcome, MagicBob! I can see I'm going to have to investigate "the magic skew" - the name certainly piques my interest! :)
I started turning with HSS, then tried the carbide tipped tools as I didn't have a good sharpening system. I now have invested in a decent sharpening set up, but have to practice and learn to get comfortable with it. I know there is an active woodturning chapter up your way. Is there a separate IAP club also, or are they the same club? I've thought of going up to the woodturning cIub, but it's an hour and a half + drive and I just haven't done it yet. I would be interested in knowing more and will look for the local chapter area on this site.

Magicbob

Thanks for the welcome, MagicBob! I can see I'm going to have to investigate "the magic skew" - the name certainly piques my interest! :)
I started turning with HSS, then tried the carbide tipped tools as I didn't have a good sharpening system. I now have invested in a decent sharpening set up, but have to practice and learn to get comfortable with it. I know there is an active woodturning chapter up your way. Is there a separate IAP club also, or are they the same club? I've thought of going up to the woodturning cIub, but it's an hour and a half + drive and I just haven't done it yet. I would be interested in knowing more and will look for the local chapter area on this site.
The regular turning club is Buckeye Turners and then there is the Bob Jackson Chapter of the IAP, so two different clubs

Last edited:
Top Bottom