Hello from the Finger Lakes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TwoSheddz

For those wondering, my handle is from Monty Python.
. I've been turning spectacularly mediocre pens off and on for about 8 years. I bought a ShopSmith with all the fixins and turned to their forums for calibration and setup advice. Someone posted a "look what I made" thread with some pens. That year everyone got slimlines for Christmas. I've done some other gifts and even sold a handful.
Now that I'm probably retired, I've had a mind to keep myself out of trouble and out from underfoot by selling on Etsy or at fairs.
I found this site when I searched for causes of chatter using a mandrel. My aim is to improve my skill and learn some turning and finishing techniques to make my pens better.
This site seems to be a great start. I've attached some work I've already done.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_025948.jpg
    IMG_20231215_025948.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20231215_025520.jpg
    IMG_20231215_025520.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 50
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

Thanks for sharing your pictures Mike... and welcome.
I also had been turning pens for years before finding this site. And once I saw the incredible work and creativity freely posted here by passionate people, I became even more enthusiastic.
It looks like you enjoy working with different wood species and pen kits. I appreciate the variety in your work.
Again, thanks for sharing!
- Cullen

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Queens, NY in the mid 60s. At that time, the Finger Lakes region was well known for their fine wines.

Lew

Welcome from Texas. You'll find the people here extra helpful and so creative you'll wonder if you can ever get to their level. But they are also inspiring

Top Bottom