Hello From Tampa, FL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Canedriver

Here under Doctors orders :)

He told me I have to take up a hobby while I recover from a back surgery I am having in a couple months so wood turning it is. Now if I could just get insurance to buy the excuse that it's DR prescribed I will have it made.

Been lurking for a few months and finally decided to join since I picked up a new JET 1220 yesterday as a belated Christmas present from a sister. sweeeet.

Injured in Iraq while working as a contractor and recovering from that. Never thought I would go back to working with wood, but hey life throws you a curve ball make the best of it i guess.

Nice to meet you.

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome from the fridgid south west Florida. Im about 2 hours south of you in Estero south of Ft Myers.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome David. Do you know you can do this sitting down? I do all the time. But I'm sure you've figured out a way to "make the best of it." Glad to have you here.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Canedriver

Welcome David. Do you know you can do this sitting down?

Yep and after my surgery i wont have much choice for a bit.

I am a member of lumberjocks, but didn't own a lathe. One of my sisters makes an awesome homemade Sangria and has been bugging me relentlessly for bottle stops to use for her bottles that she gifts to friends and family.

She actually turned me on to pen making from videos she found on youtube. It appeals to me because it's something I can do while rehabbing from the next surgery and it actually interests me. Personally I think it's a sneaky way to get me started on those bottle stoppers and since she bought me the lathe I am out of excuses :)

Of course I get to make pens first since I have to have a pen to send her an invoice. J/K but only because then I wouldn't get anymore Sangria from her.

leehljp

Member Liaison
David,

Welcome from Japan. This is a fun hobby with side benefits of making some money too. However, it can suck the money in too! :biggrin:

Enjoy this madness!

Len Shreck

Welcome to IAP David. When I was 10 yrs old we moved from Tampa to Pennsylvania in the middle of January, the heaviest clothing I owned at the time was what we consider a spring jacket up here so needless to say it was an experience I will never forget. I used to live in a trailer park right across the street from a Winn Dixie with a roller skating rink right next to it on North Florida Ave,, don't remember the cross street. I remember I went to Miles Elem School. I know its a long shot but do you possibly know where I am talking about? That was 1981 if that helps..lol

Canedriver

Welcome to IAP David. When I was 10 yrs old we moved from Tampa to Pennsylvania in the middle of January, the heaviest clothing I owned at the time was what we consider a spring jacket up here so needless to say it was an experience I will never forget. I used to live in a trailer park right across the street from a Winn Dixie with a roller skating rink right next to it on North Florida Ave,, don't remember the cross street. I remember I went to Miles Elem School. I know its a long shot but do you possibly know where I am talking about? That was 1981 if that helps..lol

Sorry I don't. I know there's a skating rink somewhere on north florida but they have closed most if not all the winn dixie's here. I live in the north part of Tampa (Carrollwood). As far as weather here right now...IT SUCKS. I think Old man winter decided he was going to move south and try and get warm. Hope he goes back soon because I actually had to put pants on this entire week. I am a shorts and cold drink guy and winter weather killing me.

Thanks for all the Hello's and Welcomes.

I have zero plans on selling items and turning it into a business. Even when I was making larger items I never sold them unless it was to a very good friend and it was more spur of the moment decision. Never took commissioned pieces.

Years ago I used to love working on cars until suddenly I was repairing friends and frat brothers cars daily. Suddenly I didn't like it so much. I try to separate work and pleasure as much as possible now.

I can definitely see where the projects you guys are making hold a value though. Some of these projects are absolutely stunning.

Len Shreck

The high so far at my house today has been 22...LOL I don't think its quite that cold down there YET :biggrin: My Dad lives in Largo he has been down there for prob about 6 yrs now, it kinda sux I don't get to see him much and hardly ever talk to him on the phone either but I have my Northern girl to keep me warm so all is good. I hope you enjoy IAP as much as I have, the people here are a vast sea of knowledge and all the articles in the Library are a help to people of different skill levels.

fiferb

Welcome David! I hope your recovery goes quickly. I also grew up in Tampa when my dad got stationed at MacDill. You're close to my old stomping grounds. I went to Leto HS and U. of Tampa. My parents still live in Town 'n Country and we get back to visit once or twice a year.

Top Bottom