Hello from SOUTH Jersey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Jeff, hope you take it serious and do stick around. Can learn many things here if you are serious. Good luck.

jttheclockman

Jeff do you have any turning tools?? Do you have any tools at all?? How well tuned are you into woodworking or other hobbies. Maybe a little background about yourself to get you started in the right direction. This hobby can be fun and also humbling and expensive. Creating things by hand is very rewarding and can be lucrative too. Many aspects of pen turning but we all started somewhere.

jrich7970

Jeff do you have any turning tools?? Do you have any tools at all?? How well tuned are you into woodworking or other hobbies. Maybe a little background about yourself to get you started in the right direction. This hobby can be fun and also humbling and expensive. Creating things by hand is very rewarding and can be lucrative too. Many aspects of pen turning but we all started somewhere.

So, I've been half heartedly wookworking for 30 years, if you don't count helping my dad as a kid. I've had a table saw for that 30 years, drill press, several chop saws...countless hand tools. But I only recently started really getting back in to woodworking. Built myself several workbenches in the basement, put up some shelves, working on some dust collection equipment. Since all MY kids are out of the house now, I have a little more time on my hands....especially now. But that will change eventually when I start traveling for work again weekly.

So, I just bought a lathe, and mandrel, chisels...I've turned 3 pens so far...two have issues, which I'll talk about in one of the forums. The third, I've got the wood itself as smooth as glass, but I'm afraid to finish it yet...because I'm having problems in that area. Again....I'll bring that over to the CA Finish forum. And yeah....it's only my third one...I realize I need practice.

My daughter is an art teacher and loves ceramics and has sold some at craft fairs and art shows, and I would like to sell pens, rings, maybe a bowl or two, and a few other things along side her. Not necessarily interested in making a huge profit, but just enough to break even and to keep my new hobby going.

jttheclockman

So, I've been half heartedly wookworking for 30 years, if you don't count helping my dad as a kid. I've had a table saw for that 30 years, drill press, several chop saws...countless hand tools. But I only recently started really getting back in to woodworking. Built myself several workbenches in the basement, put up some shelves, working on some dust collection equipment. Since all MY kids are out of the house now, I have a little more time on my hands....especially now. But that will change eventually when I start traveling for work again weekly.

So, I just bought a lathe, and mandrel, chisels...I've turned 3 pens so far...two have issues, which I'll talk about in one of the forums. The third, I've got the wood itself as smooth as glass, but I'm afraid to finish it yet...because I'm having problems in that area. Again....I'll bring that over to the CA Finish forum. And yeah....it's only my third one...I realize I need practice.

My daughter is an art teacher and loves ceramics and has sold some at craft fairs and art shows, and I would like to sell pens, rings, maybe a bowl or two, and a few other things along side her. Not necessarily interested in making a huge profit, but just enough to break even and to keep my new hobby going.
OK this is great. Now we have an idea that you know your way around tools. So that when a question comes up we are not telling you something that is dangerous if you have not done something. You at least know to have us explain more. Tablesaw and drill press will be of huge value. Also at least we now know you have a lathe and we can go from there. Whatever you do do not get frustrated especially learning the CA finish. Many methods to do and you will find what works for you. The more pens you make the more you learn and become familiar with problems that usually arise and they will. Have done craft shows for over 30 years and maybe we ran into each other. I am from central NJ. I am more of a scroller than a pen maker but do make pens and usually one of a kind type. Hope you find time to relax and enjoy this hobby. I know the world is a different place right now and work is not what it use to be so be safe and take care.

Top Bottom