Hello from South Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

millarde

Never turned a thing nor had access to a lathe until earlier this year (though I've done lots of woodworking/carpentry). Y'all know how this goes -- I now own more equipment and pen kits than is likely healthy and I'm eyeing a vacuum pot and some bottles of epoxy resin...

My favorite piece of gear so far is the Milescraft Pen Press -- so much easier to use than every other thing I've tried. It's not even close.

Pictured are some items I made for a neighbor who needed to up their family gift giving game (which I turned into a mildly promotional post on a local community site -- hence the random blanks at the edges. I work some local craft fairs as Lowcountry Guitar and Pen. [bonus points if you get the reference]

Attachments

• pens and things.jpg
    pens and things.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 67
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

Nice work! I like how you've highlighted why you've paired different blanks with some of the components too.

I'll not comment on Lowcountry vs Highcountry lest a discussion on barbecue techniques and styles break out

Woodchipper

Welcome and I complement your display. The ribbon adds to the overall picture. Good idea...I might do that, too. ;)
Been all over NC and SC. The Low Country is an interesting place. Home of the Gullah culture. Indigo was a major crop there. If I recall, it was expensive to raise and purchase by the users. Miss the fresh seafood of the Carolinas.

millarde

Nice work! I like how you've highlighted why you've paired different blanks with some of the components too.

I'll not comment on Lowcountry vs Highcountry lest a discussion on barbecue techniques and styles break out
The only needed discussion is that it's all good. I've lived a bunch of different places including Texas and California and am happy to enjoy anyone's BBQ -- each style developed for a reason. And now you've given me a hankering for some Central California Santa Maria style...

hewunch

Welcome! I started turning up the street in Walterboro. We vacationed a good bit on HHI. Love that area and her people.

Sataro

Welcome from Texas. Very nice looking pens! Enjoyed your state from 77-79 while stationed at Shaw AFB. My younger brother enjoyed it during same time period while he was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFBā€¦

d_bondi

Welcome from Utah. Those are some really nice items. I'm not familiar with the Ticket Scraper, what is it used for?

millarde

Welcome from Utah. Those are some really nice items. I'm not familiar with the Ticket Scraper, what is it used for?
Hmm, how to explain lottery tickets to someone from a state where they do not have a lottery (good on y'all)? ;-)

Ooh, got it! Ever get a gift card? They typically have a protected value hidden under a bit you have to scratch off to expose it (the PIN to activate/use the card). People will often reach for a coin, maybe use a fingernail. For entertainment, we hope, some people will regularly play an inexpensive lottery ticket that has multiple fields to be scratched. Using a coin or fingernail gets annoying -- so we have a ticket scraper. It's the sort of think I make on request only.

Did that work?

d_bondi

Hmm, how to explain lottery tickets to someone from a state where they do not have a lottery (good on y'all)? ;-)

Ooh, got it! Ever get a gift card? They typically have a protected value hidden under a bit you have to scratch off to expose it (the PIN to activate/use the card). People will often reach for a coin, maybe use a fingernail. For entertainment, we hope, some people will regularly play an inexpensive lottery ticket that has multiple fields to be scratched. Using a coin or fingernail gets annoying -- so we have a ticket scraper. It's the sort of think I make on request only.

Did that work?

Makes perfect sense, thanks. I just wasn't connecting the dots.

Lew

Some great looking pens. And I recognize the illness you describe that causes you to buy things you had never thought of before. If you keep reading posts on this site, you'll be sorely tempted to buy even more things. Good luck

Rolandranch

Welcome from Tucson, AZ! I went to school in Greenville and picked up some new words (yall, grits, etc šŸ˜„). Lot's to learn here and great people to learn it from.

Top Bottom