Hello from Scotland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome! I also just joined and started to turn pens when I retired last year. Scotland is on my bucket list to trace family tree (Andrews) LOL...

howsitwork

Greeting frok south of the border ( north yorks).

Pressure and or vacuum stabilising and resin?

howsitwork

Vacuum is safer but just as distracting when the vessel implodes ( impressive bang though ! ) .

I started to make a pressure cooker chamber then decided 50 psi in a metal vessel wasn't wise and bought one after my implosion experience. Didn't fancy adding explosion experience to the list.

Dèe Urquhart

Vacuum is safer but just as distracting when the vessel implodes ( impressive bang though ! ) .

I started to make a pressure cooker chamber then decided 50 psi in a metal vessel wasn't wise and bought one after my implosion experience. Didn't fancy adding explosion experience to the list.
[/Q

howsitwork

Implosion is actually quite safe as the metal is being sucked inwards. It just makes a hell of a noise and encourages rapid bowel movement !😳

howsitwork

Bit confused by this question as the stabilisation resin is heat cured (at over water boiling point ) so there wouldn't be a moisture issue?

darrin1200

Does stabilization eliminate the need to dry wood prior to turning?

No it does not remove the need. It actually increases the requirement.
You need to remove all moisture from your blanks prior to stabilizing, because Cactus Juice and water do not work well at all. The general practice, is to place the blanks in a toaster oven at a little of 100degC, until all the moisture is gone.

howsitwork

I've used the stickfast version but I do leave under vacuum for a couple of days rather than hours. Jus5 started out with stabilizing so maybe I need to dry more but woods i used had been kiln dried then stored .

Top Bottom