Hello from Providence, RI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Morgan

I have to confess that I am here under somewhat false pretenses. Years ago, I turned a bunch of pens, but these days I am mostly into segmented turning. I would like to incorporate acrylics into some of my pieces, like this bubinga-bloodwood-acrylic bowl.

B-A-B bowl.jpg

I am looking for a source for long acrylic pen blanks - cutting segments from typical 6" blanks leaves a lot of waste. One possibility is beartoothwoods.com - a fellow segmenter says they sell blanks up to 1 meter long by special order. Are there other sources that you know of?

Of course, I am also interested in learning about tips, tricks and tools that I can apply to my craft - no shortage of those here!

-- Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the forums. In addition to pen turning we do have threads dedicated to other small turnings and to other things we make. I haven't made the leap to bowls or anything not pen-like yet.

Before retiring I used to make it to your neck of the woods four or more times a year to visit one of my engineering teams at Vishay in Warwick. I was always amused that I landed in Providence but as soon as I drove across the street from the parking garage I was in Warwick. We have plenty of steaks here but I sure do miss all of the fresh seafood -- especially the Rhode Island Style Calamari. - Dave

sorcerertd

Welcome from NC! Beautiful bowl! I hear tell that if you hang around a barber shop long enough, you will eventually get a haircut. Be careful or you might be turning pens again soon. ;)

Top Bottom