Hello from Oklahoma

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

404NotFound

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to pen making. I've only been doing it for about a week but I am definitely hooked. I do have an issue though that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

After destroying half a dozen acrylic blanks, I finally made one perfect for a click style ball point. I got everything pressed together but didn't realize the click button unscrewed, so when I assembled it I think I messed the mechanism up because now, the pen doesn't retract and the action when pressing the button sticks no matter what I try. If I press it down it just makes the tip of the pen stick out further, and I have to apply pressure to the head of the pen to get it back to the normal distance that the tip would stick out.

I think that there is probably no way to fix the mechanism itself, but is there a way that I can safely remove that section of the pen without destroying the acrylic? If it was just a pen for me I would live with my mistake, but this pen is intended to be a gift.

Thank you,
Chase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It might help if you could post a picture of the pen.

Please tell us the name of the pen kit you used ... that would certainly help even without a picture of the pen.

There is a small chance you can recover from the "damage".

I assume that you pressed on the clicker button when you were assembling. . That is a definite no-no.
You now seem to be aware that the button can be unscrewed; doing that before pressing the pen together might have avoided the damage.
But a possibly relevant technique in this situation is to make a "press-block" with a hole drilled through it in order to avoid exerting direct pressure on the push button.

keithbyrd

If you are lucky it could be that you put the spring on backwards -if the spring has different windings at each end make sure the one with fewest windings goes on refill first.

404NotFound

It might help if you could post a picture of the pen.

Please tell us the name of the pen kit you used ... that would certainly help even without a picture of the pen.

There is a small chance you can recover from the "damage".

I assume that you pressed on the clicker button when you were assembling. . That is a definite no-no.
You now seem to be aware that the button can be unscrewed; doing that before pressing the pen together might have avoided the damage.
But a possibly relevant technique in this situation is to make a "press-block" with a hole drilled through it in order to avoid exerting direct pressure on the push button.

It is this kit https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...5b8469702d2f2f0014b8,57645bee69702d2f2f0014bb

magpens

@404NotFound

Thank you for posting the kit information.

I notice in the instructions for making this pen that they suggest making a press block to avoid pressing directly on the push button.

Assembly:

Press Threaded Nib Adapter (B) tapered end first into one end of Finished Barrel (C).

Using a scrap piece of wood create a press block by drilling a 1/4" dimeter x 1/2" deep hole. Insert Click Button (G) into the previously drilled hole and press the Upper Assembly (D) into the open end of Finished Barrel (C).

Slide Spring (E) small end first onto Ink Refill (F).

Insert Ink Refill Assembly (E, F) plastic end first through the opening of the Threaded Nib Adapter (B).

Finish the assembly by threading Nib (A) onto Threaded Nib Adapter (B).

404NotFound

@404NotFound

Thank you for posting the kit information.

I notice in the instructions for making this pen that they suggest making a press block to avoid pressing directly on the push button.

Assembly:

Press Threaded Nib Adapter (B) tapered end first into one end of Finished Barrel (C).

Using a scrap piece of wood create a press block by drilling a 1/4" dimeter x 1/2" deep hole. Insert Click Button (G) into the previously drilled hole and press the Upper Assembly (D) into the open end of Finished Barrel (C).

Slide Spring (E) small end first onto Ink Refill (F).

Insert Ink Refill Assembly (E, F) plastic end first through the opening of the Threaded Nib Adapter (B).

Finish the assembly by threading Nib (A) onto Threaded Nib Adapter (B).

Yeah...I..didn't read the instructions..

magpens

@404NotFound

There are "techniques" and "tools" for disassembly. PSI ( .... PennStateInd.com .... ) markets some things by that name.
How good or appropriate it is for this situation is another matter. . I have never used those products.

Here's a link to that item: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html

Most disassembly seems to rely on "bashing" the parts out from the inside, it seems to me. . And removing a click mechanism is particularly tricky. The risk is high that you could do even more damage. . But if you are mainly concerned about saving your blank, you could give it further thought.

There are people here on IAP that are more skilled at such an operation than I am.

I would suggest you address those people by starting another thread, specifying in the title exactly what you want in the way of advice.
And also, in the text of the request, provide full details (with pic) of the pen and the kit that you used.

Good luck !

404NotFound

@404NotFound

There are "techniques" and "tools" for disassembly. PSI ( .... PennStateInd.com .... ) markets some things by that name.
How good or appropriate it is for this situation is another matter. . I have never used those products.

Here's a link to that item: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html

Most disassembly seems to rely on "bashing" the parts out from the inside, it seems to me. . And removing a click mechanism is particularly tricky. The risk is high that you could do even more damage. . But if you are mainly concerned about saving your blank, you could give it further thought.

There are people here on IAP that are more skilled at such an operation than I am.

I would suggest you address those people by starting another thread, specifying in the title exactly what you want in the way of advice.
And also, in the text of the request, provide full details (with pic) of the pen and the kit that you used.

Good luck !

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this matter.

magpens

@404NotFound

Oh, and one other thing that came to mind ... I was doing some yard work and it just dawned on me ...

That pen kit comes with a fully assembled top half where the click mechanism is. . At least, I think that would be the case.
Because that part was assembled before you got it, it seems to me quite unlikely that you are going to be able to repair it.

I could be wrong, but that is just my latest thought. . Sorry. . But that's what my experience tells me ..... ☹

If others chirp in and offer more encouraging advice, and then you are successful at disassembly and repair ... please let's know. .
I'd love to be wrong !!! 😀 😀

404NotFound

@404NotFound

Oh, and one other thing that came to mind ... I was doing some yard work and it just dawned on me ...

That pen kit comes with a fully assembled top half where the click mechanism is. . At least, I think that would be the case.
Because that part was assembled before you got it, it seems to me quite unlikely that you are going to be able to repair it.

I could be wrong, but that is just my latest thought. . Sorry. . But that's what my experience tells me ..... ☹

If others chirp in and offer more encouraging advice, and then you are successful at disassembly and repair ... please let's know. .
I'd love to be wrong !!! 😀 😀

What I was hoping to be able to do it get that top piece off, and then just replace the whole piece.

Top Bottom