Hello from NW Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fussewc

Just joined this group. Only been making pens since February. I took a one day class in Atlanta at Highland Hardware. The instructor warned us at the beginning, that if we liked it it would become addictive. I have been a woodworker for more than 30 years but have never had as much fun as I have making pens. About $3000.00 later my wife is convinced I am addicted. If I dont get to make a couple of pens a day I start to twitch! Now if I could just sell some to offset the startup costs.....
Any suggestions? Of do I just resign myself to having an expensive hobby? It really is almost too much fun.

Bill Fussell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Hi Bill. Welcome to the IAP. Yes it's addictive. Still working on a cure.

Enjoy the site..

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Bill. And welcome to the IAP - and the "Great Escape." I'm from sunny southern California. Strange as it seems, sometime I just turn pens for the fresh aroma of wood and acrylic shavings. Desert and ocean air isn't always the best.

I'm just putting one link in here for reference - here is a link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

You've been looking around for awhile. If you need anymore info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. And don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and Wiki links on the home page.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
You know Bill, I have found out that you can buy a pen kit, double the cost, and have the customer furnish their own piece of hardwood or pen blank wood from a crib, baby chair, favorite tree or bush in their yard that has some figureing on it, and put in some for your labor, then keep the rest of the piece they bring in to make some more pens. It cuts your cost for blanks, make 100% on the pen kit, gives you extra wood for more blanks, makes the customer happy to show off his 1st child's crib to his neighbors and is pleased. I got a log roll burl from a neighbor he had in his back yard that had to be cut. So I have pieces of burl later to sell. Just a thought to get a fix on your ad-dick-tion. Frank

Bill,
Welcome from the mitten. Answer to your question...Always carry a pen with you, make it a nice one! Always tell people you made it and always tell them you can make them one. Never give them away(except to family), never discount your price, though you may lower it in general, if it stays in your case for too long. If it still doesnt sell, take it apart and redo it. Make some inexpenxsive pens and donate them to a local charity event and be sure the info is attached. This is a good way to get your name out there. Hope this helps.

GaryMGg

Hi Bill; welcome aboard from around Gainesville.
You must've bought one heck of a lathe to have a $3K investment in pen-turning.
What's your setup like?

All Thumbs

Welcome

Hello from Sarasota,Fl.
Bill get yourself a case to carry about 24 pens. Keep it with you at all times. When I'm out at a new place I find a reason to open the case(put on string price tags). People are nosy and will look to see what you are doing. I tell them I'm going to a gift store to take there order next. I sell 4 to 5 pens a week that way.
Keep it fun, at least you know what you are giving as gifts this year.

Good Luck
Carlton

Top Bottom