Hello from north Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghenley

Hello,

My name is Ginny and I am a working artist with a special love for polymer. Recently I saw some pens turned from materials other than wood and was immediately hooked. I've started with a Harbor Freight lathe and some English gouges that have curbed my social life, and I'm happy. Turning is more fun than any one person should be allowed to have!

Will someone please tell me the name of a book that will instruct me in closed end pen turning? I'm truly impressed by the work I see on this site and look forward to years of learning.

Attachments

• ginny henley pen 1 edit.jpg
    ginny henley pen 1 edit.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Welcome Ginny,
as far as to what book to suggest, I cant help there, But you can work thru the library and get tons of useful info there. And if you cant find something there is a search feature and if that turns up nothing, you have the forum with ALOT of sharp people here.

Atherton Pens

Welcome from Georgia.

Here's an option for closed end pens:
http://arizonasilhouette.net/Closed_End_Pen_Mandrel.htm

Here's something from of our creative members.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77258

You can also use a standard mandrel with another trick. If you want additional information on this method send a PM and I will try to explain. I'm not sure it will work for polymers, but I have been successful with wood.

Again, welcome and enjoy the addiction. Once you have an addiction a social life is not necessary!

its_virgil

Welcome. You will find a couple of articles on turning closed end pens on my websiteat hnttp://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hello,
Will someone please tell me the name of a book that will instruct me in closed end pen turning? I'm truly impressed by the work I see on this site and look forward to years of learning.

Sawdust46

Welcome from McKinney, Texas. I would be interested in seeing some of your polymer work. I think you would be interested in seeing what IAP member Toni has done with polymers. You can look her up in the members list. I hope she doesn't mind me giving you her name.

By the way, has anyone heard from Toni? I sent her a PM to see that she came through the New Zealand earthquake and never heard back.

ghenley

Thanks for the welcomes

Thank you for the warm welcomes. For you other north Texans, I live in Keller. I especially appreciate the leads to learning about closed end pens. Thank you Lupe, Gary, Bill and Don for your wisdom. Bill, I saw Toni's beautiful, beautiful pens and marvel at them. I think we have a different approach in actual construction, but I'm not totally sure. Although I know how to build the flora and fauna canes, my personal style is more contemporary, calling for another build model. Had I seen Toni's lovely work before beginning, I would have chosen a different approach, rather than the traditional turner's methodology which I use now. Occasionally "stupid" is an advantage because it promotes individuality through experimentation. :wink:

Top Bottom