Hello from newbie and Question: The Bare Necessities

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thot

Hello All,
I am toootally new to woodturning (so new that I don't have a lathe yet).
I come to woodturning from the pen perspective.
I recent;y developed a fascination for fountain pens (or better, I rediscovered it as I remember being fascinated by them as a kid).
Even more recently I made a shocking discovery: YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN PENS!
While this does not come to a surprise to the Forum's members (duh!) it was indeed a revelation for me. Since then I spent hours on the internet researching the topic and order a few books on Amazon (I have not received them yet) about pen turning.
Despite my researching I have a few questions about tools that I hope the experienced guys can help me answer.

I am trying to figure out what is the bare minimum of tools I need for proficient (fountain) pen turning.
The questions arises not so much from lack of money (though I don't despise saving money :biggrin:) but from lack of space.
My workbench is a student's desk in a corner of my stuffed 2 cars garage. Buying small tools is not a problem, is the big ones that concern me.
A mini lathe will fit nicely on my workbench with all the accessories that go with it.
But what else do I need?
I understand I can drill holes in the blanks with the lathe itself for that I need a drill chuck and a wood chuck, right? (I hope I have the terms right).
But how about cutting blanks, both in term of squaring the end of a blank or cutting it in two with a precise perpendicular cut and in term of making blanks from the many nice tree branches that show up aplenty after a thunderstorm.
I have a hand saw, a hacksaw and a small electric jigsaw as well as a hand held rotary saw. Do I need to buy a table saw of any kind, like a band saw?
If so, which would be a compact model (ease of use and safety are also considerations) ideal for penturning?
If you have links to actual tools and suppliers or to tutorials that address my questions that will also be appreciated.
How about a pen assembly press?

Thank you in advance

Luca
Eager-to-start-newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Luca, first welcome to this amazing hobby. Now with that said, it is possible to do EVERYTHING on the lathe itself.
From turning between spur drive and live center,
the round blank may then be mounted in collet chuck (recommended),
cut to length, then drill and after drilling, square then ends.

Are you confused yet? This eliminates other large tools and saves your space.

Table saw? If your blanks are not square you would need something, maybe some smaller contractor saw.

As for a press, I have ALWAYS used a Erwin clamp for assembly. Others prefer a press.

As for what type lathe, as many opinions as members it appears but at least a variable speed and 1/2-3/4 hp motor.

One more thing, READ THE LIBRARY!!! There is so much to learn and almost any answer can be found.

Last edited:

switt

Remember too that at some point your woodturning tools will get dull and need sharpening. So a bench grinder will probably need to be added at some point.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Welcome Luca. Pen turning is a great past time. The fellowship of the IAP is also well worth the price of admission. The suggestions given as to what the bare minimum tool requirements are will change as your skill level increases. My only suggestion is to buy the best quality lathe and tuning tools you can afford. I look forward to seeing your work!

el_d

Welcome Luca.
I started cuting my blanks with a hansd saw and a mitre box. Still do sometimes, I also have a small porch I work off of and have to haul my tools out everytime I need to do anything......Still love it though, and thers no better people or place to learn than here.

phillywood

Welcome Luca, don't worry there are other newbies including me who don't have the lathe yet. So strap up and enjoy the ride. From one newbie to the other, do not buy cheap stuff. It comes back and hunt you, if you don't believe me read some of the posts that members have here about using the cheap stuff and ending getting the better stuff after all the advise on the site. Good Luck.

ldb2000

Hi Luca . As Tim said , you can use your lathe to do it all except cut the raw blanks from logs . I'm running the Penmakers Challenge over in the advanced pen making forum . We have made complete pens on the lathe , from cutting the blanks in half and drilling to trimming the ends square and you can even use the lathe as a pen assembly press and sharpening station . Having a room full of power tools is not needed as long as you have a lathe .

herbk

Hi Luca, My suggestion would be to spend a fews more dollars on a vairable speed lathe. I personally tend to do different steps in the process at different speeds and it is just more convienient to adjust a dial that adjust the belt. My next lathe will be a variable speed. I have a RIKO, great lathe for me.

Thot

Thanks

Hey Guys,
Thank you for the warm welcomes and the plethora of great advices.
I am getting a much better idea of what I need and what I don't and what purchase I must do now and what I can postpone.

I now know that if... actually when... I have other questions I found the right place to ask! :)

Thanks again

Luca

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Luca! You are off to a great start . . . you found the IAP site.

When I started out, I got a good lathe. Other than that, I used jigsaw to cut wood, hand drill to drill and used a wool paint roller on the lathe for buffing, etc. But the links and other advice given would serve you better. Personally, I think it's smart to get an inexpensive set of tools and then, when you've got it down what you're most comfortable with spend the money on tools you really want to work with.

Here are a few more links that may help you settle in easier.
This link is - a PDF document on the acronyms used here on the IAP site. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

penfancy

Welcome, Lucca! Enjoy your stay and try to find members in your area to hang out with, maybe work in their shop(if they'll let you), and hang around your local Woodcraft or Rockler ( or other turning or specialty shop) as they are always having turning classes. These shops want you to learn to turn so that you buy their lathe, tools, sharpening equipment, and pen kits!

Last edited:

keithlong

Hey Lucca,
Welcome aboard, When I bought my lathe, I bought a starter set from PSI, if you choose to go this route, you will need to purchase a 60 degree live center to use with your mandrel. Also be sure if you can, and get a lathe with a #2 mortise taper. It is easier to find accessaries for a #2 vs a #1 MT. And practice, practice, practice. And be sure to post pics of your progress.

aggromere

To save space my suggestions would be:

1. Good mini lathe (i like the jet 1014vs)
2. All the stuff to drill on the lathe
3. A small table saw (i use the byrne)
4. A couple of skews, one just for truing the end of the blanks on the lathe.
5. I would also get a 1 inch gouge and a parting too for turning.

You would be limited to what size blanks you could cut on a small saw, but you can just flip the blank and cut through from the other side.

My drill press broke a year or so back and I started drilling on the lathe and find it much easier and more accurate. Someone gave me the tip to true the blanks on the lathe and I haven't used a pen mill since and sure don't miss them.

I have accumulated a lot more stuff than that, but If I had to limit my stuff do to size that is what I would do. I also have a byrne disk sander and it is really handy, but not necessary.

Top Bottom