Hello from Nashville, TN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mgdesigns

Hi, I am new to this forum, and I live near Nashville, TN. I am also fairly new to wood turning & penturning. I acquired a 1955 ShopSmith about 6 months ago, and have disassembled it and made it work properly. The Lathe functions have always fascinated me, so I started to also obtain drive spurs, gouges, dead center, live center, and recently a new Nova G3 4-jaw chuck. I've turned a few bowls, and few pens.

The first pen I gave as a gift I also embellished in a unique way. I hand engraved the clip, top cap and ferrule. You see I am also a professional hand engraver. I did the engraving under microscope and used a specially ground 120 degree carbide cutter on my GraverMax setup. It is impressive to a novice viewer, but I am not pleased with the platings that are used on Woodcraft or PennState findings. My goal would be to cast my own finding out of better metals (i.e., sterling silver, 14KY gold, etc.) so I can embellish worthy metals.

Here is a sample of my hand engraving on stainless steel knife ($2 cheap Chinese knife - I hope I did not devalue it too much).

Attachments

• MG-SCROLL-KNIFE-2-white-web.jpg
    MG-SCROLL-KNIFE-2-white-web.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Mark, welcome to the madness from west Kentucky, almost neighbor. Your engraving is beautiful with wonderful detail. For information, first check out the library where you will find a wealth of good data on pen making. Otherwise, you may post your questions here where you will find many answers to your questions. Have fun, grab some wood and make shavings. Then post photos of your masterpieces and the other ones too.
Charles

mgdesigns

Thanks for the welcome. I have been looking at some of the articles here, and I find it to be a great resource.

I'll post pics of pens as I make the good ones. I've only made about a half dozen so far, mostly left overs from guitar building (walnut, flame maple, hard maple, etc.) but I have many kits to get the barrels turned, still.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Great work! I bet you at least doubled the price of that China made knife! (joke) Nice work and WELCOME from Southern Indiana, about 4 hours north of ya.

mgdesigns

I really would like to find some genuine precious metal pen parts, so I don't have to cast them myself. The labor and cost of electricity to burn out the casting flasks is pretty high. I could maybe cast 100 on a tree, and then the cost of the casting would be reduced.

Let me know if you know of findings for the pen kits in silver, gold or even platinum. But my woodworking would have to be much better.

Top Bottom