Hello from Kitchener, Ontario

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oxx44

Hello everyone here at IAP.

I'm from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
A couple of years ago I stumbled upon this Pen Turning hobby, but was not in a situation to start a new endevor. All I could think about was how much fun I had using a lathe in Jr. High School. Only made a lamp and a bat. (at least I knew what they were, lol) But never the less I could remember the fun and satisfaction of wood turning. I just recently started to save up some coin for a lathe, when the father and law said he had a full size lathe I could have. He needed the room in the shop and he hadn't used it in over 4 years. hummmm.......OKAY!

Here are a couple of pics of the lathe and my 1st six pens I made.

Lathe - This is an old Rockwell Beaver made in 1963. Parts are so hard to find for them cause when Delta bought Rockwell they killed the Beaver imediatly. Plus on the lathe was a Vega Duplicator. Have not had a chance to use it yet but I think that might be because I'm a bit scared of it. :)

Pens - left to right - all slimline pens wanted to start with something cheap to learn on.
1- Maple - This pen was a major learning experience. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. (all user error of course). Just look at the tooling marks, lol. Top half is much smaller cause I had to retool it due to a CA glue error.
2- Zebra wood - This is my work-pen wish I knew how to do a correct finish.
3- White Oak - Ok I am starting to get some confidence at the lathe and is starting to show.
4- 1st acrylic. lots of scratches under finish, and was trying to make a more feminine shape but ended up with something really weird.
5- Ebony and Acrylic joined. Did not want to attempt this so soon but due to my haste I blew up a blank with my drill. (bought a drill press the next day). Turned out ok finish is nice but have some white specs near the tip and have no idea where they came from. They are under the finish.
6- Made this for the wife. I must say I am proud of this one. But most importantly the Wife loves it.

Any comments or criticism is welcome. (I can handle it)

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Welcome from Connecticut, and from a part-time resident in Apsley, Ontario.

dexter0606

Hello Neighbour
I'm just down the road in Cambridge. Pens and setup look good. Keep it up.
Not sure where you're getting your supplies now but let me know if you want to know where to get them locally.

Bellsy

Hey Neighbor.....just down the street from you in Elora.

Pens look great, are the hardware and blanks from William Wood-write in Guelph?

Dave

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Rick! That's a nice lot of pens you've made. They look better than my first bunch. What impressed me is the improvement evident in each pen! Keep 'em coming!

Sounds like there are a bunch of turners up in your "neck of the woods." That's good.

I'm putting a few links in here for reference –
This one is a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't. http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf
This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link tells of some "out of the box" tools/aids for pen turners http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66178

oxx44

Thank you for all the nice comments, and welcomes. I got to meet Bill from William Wood-Write. Great guy. Got alot of my supplies there today. I do believe he will be seeing more of me.:biggrin:

Top Bottom