Hello from Houston Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Khillh

Good morning, afternoon, or evening to everyone. I'm a beginner pen-turner from Spring, TX a town north of Houston. I've done other turning before made a few small bowls some really weird-looking spoons that I half-turned half-carved. But the cat has now broken since he thought they were a toy to push off the shelf. Some odds and ends spindle turnings like a wonky bat and a walking cane on my stepdad's bigger lathe before I got my midi lathe. I found out with his lathe that I rather enjoy turning and decided to get into it. Now that I have a midi lathe I've had a taste of turning a couple of pens and found I enjoy it more than I did turning bowls. Fewer things flying off the chuck to fly at my head and explode. I didn't say I was any good at turning bowls just that I turned a few bowls a couple successfully. I also lack the space to turn bowls as he does. Two car garage that's shared space so more like one car garage on a good day maybe half a car. So pen turning seems much more manageable to my lifestyle. Not looking to make a lot of money at it. If one-day I'm able to make enough to support this as a hobby I'll be happy. Till then it's a work in progress. If I don't make any money at this I don't really care cause I'm a bit artistic and I like to make things. So it kind of satisfies both those things at the same time. Other then that I'm married father of two teenagers and spent 8 years in Army. The rest is rather boring. And yes thats my art behind my head.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokey S

Welcome to the vortex, just saying……, This is an awesome forum with a bunch of folks willing to assist in any way possible. I am from further down the coast on the beautiful west shore of Copano Bay. I was up in Spring a couple of months ago picking up m new truck at PlanetFord. My son and his family live up a little past you, just south of Lake Conroe. Is sure is pretty country up your way. Take care……Smokey

Top Bottom