Hello from Cajun country

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markhepburn

Just a quick hello to everyone here. I just joined a minute ago and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Mark, and I live in a small town outside of New Orleans down in the bayou country of south Louisiana. Home to about an equal distribution of Cajuns, alligators and gumbo recipes, Houma is my home since '91.

Strictly a hobbyist for the past 50 years, I've done cabinets, flipped a couple of houses, made chairs, tables and other furniture. So about 8 years ago I was bitten by the turning bug and never really looked back. Multiple hand surgeries have come to limit the size and scope of my work, and in the past year - since I've been able to get back in my shop - I've found that I'm really enjoying making pens and small boxes, vases and so on on my little lathe.

I'm retiring next year in June and can't wait to have lots more shop time!

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

Welcome from south Texas...about a mile north of Mexico! My wife and I lived in Baton Rouge for several years. I spent an average of 2 days a week fishing in the bayou by Pierre Part, Lake Verret, N side of Lake Maurepas and the Atchafalaya around the I-10 bridge. I miss the bayou!

rixstix

Welcome from South Dakota.

Alexandria 50s, 60s, 70s
Lake Charles 70s, 80s, 90s

Got tired of heat, humidity & hurricanes
Traded for heat, humidity & tornados

markhepburn

Welcome from south Texas...about a mile north of Mexico! My wife and I lived in Baton Rouge for several years. I spent an average of 2 days a week fishing in the bayou by Pierre Part, Lake Verret, N side of Lake Maurepas and the Atchafalaya around the I-10 bridge. I miss the bayou!

Talk about a small world Gary. I'm going tomorrow to look at a small house near Pierre Part. I hope it's the one that doesn't flood every year :-D

You definitely know your fishing holes. I haven't been up to Maurepas in a long time, but a friend and I used to go crabbing out there.

markhepburn

Welcome from South Dakota.

Alexandria 50s, 60s, 70s
Lake Charles 70s, 80s, 90s

Got tired of heat, humidity & hurricanes
Traded for heat, humidity & tornados
Heat, humidity.... I'm glad you said that because I would have šŸ™ƒ

You wouldn't recognize Lake Charles anymore I don't think. It's really grown.

As for me, I'm thinking I might move to Alabama where my oldest daughter is (east of Birmingham). Same deal; no hurricanes, some tornadoes. Not sure I'm going to love that but at least the summers are more tolerable.

RGVPens

Talk about a small world Gary. I'm going tomorrow to look at a small house near Pierre Part. I hope it's the one that doesn't flood every year :-D

You definitely know your fishing holes. I haven't been up to Maurepas in a long time, but a friend and I used to go crabbing out there.
I launched at Dennis Landry's place on Bayou Corne most of the time and went from there. Got shiners from Duffy's a lot. Put in at Doiron's Landing some to get to the bayou on the east side of Grassy Lake. Good sacalait over there!

Sataro

Welcome from Corsicana, TX! Not familiar with Louisiana that much but got kinfolks in Ragley, Lake Charles & New Orleansā€¦

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Mark. Another one with Cajun connections here. LOML is from N.O. Our youngest daughter was born 38 years ago in Raceland, where we lived for 5 years. Been literally around the world a few times but no food compare with real cajun food! Spent a lot of time in Houma during '80-'85.

Lots of great people here with plenty of experience!

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Take a look at our "General Announcements" on the Home Page.

Here is a direct link to the Library of Tutorials Menu.

Here's a list of World Wide Pen Suppliers.

Let me know if you find any others.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom