Hello Everyone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WShankle

Hi Everyone

This all started when I was encouraged by my father to try pen turning. I am not exactly new to lathes as I own, and on occasion use, several old metal lathes. At the time my only wood lathe was a very cheap and anemic wood lathe that I would rough out spacers for vase lamps. I found that, for me, the cares of the day melt away while i'm in front of the lathe, whether its turning a pen blank, or turning and facing a piece of CRS on the South Bend. Anyway I've done a lot of different pen designs from various vendors, and have modified a kit to make something different. I've turned acrylic, mica, deer antler, and numerous, types of wood. Lately I've started trying my hand at resin casting. That holds a lot of possibilities that come with the challenges. My tooling is typically carbide although at times I'll use HSS if the need arises. My pen lathe is the Harbor Freight copy of the Shop Fox W1704. I think its a great pen lathe. I joined IAP because I found I was reading the thread here to get ideas. Thanks for taking me into the fold.

Attachments

• A few pens I made.jpg
    A few pens I made.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

exoticwo

Welcome ! Nice batch of pens in your post. Sounds like you have plenty of experience and it shows, best of luck with Casting, that's another Rabbit hole to go down!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome from across the pond. Have FUN!

I have an old Atlas Clausing lathe that has seen better days, but lives by night.

Cheers, Mark

Top Bottom