Hawaiian Koa Calabash Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi, I milled some nice Koa logs the other day and this is a few of the rough cut bowls that I just did, this Koa has some real nice color contrast, now I let it dry for 3-6 months and then finish the bowls, aloha.

Chris
Kalai:)

2007118222033_koa%20bowl%20blanks%20006.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

chris i absolutely love those calabash bowls, i remember the finished one you posted a few months ago and thought it was one of the coolest bowls i've ever seen, can't wait to see these done.

is that glue block to chuck them once the dry or is that how you rough turned them or what?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I tell you Chris...

I don't know what makes me more jealous - your ready access to such gorgeous wood - or the fact that it's not snowing in Hawaii right now! :D

Great wood, Chris, but also really nice looking bowls! Can't wait to see them finished (around March, I'm guessing!)

Kalai

Hi Andrew, well I do have access to alot of nice wood, we have a bandsaw mill that can mill logs up to 28 inches in diameter so we get a lot of logs. And we got our first snow about 4 days ago, out 2 tallest mountains Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea got some snow, boy it is cold now, I think it got up to 78 today:) aloha.

Chris
Kalai:D

Top Bottom