Have a website, how can they find me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Okay guys, my website is up and running. Other than sending invites how can people find me through search engines?

I've done the meta tag equivalent that SikeKreator allows but that is basically it.

Any good website submission outfit you can recommend?

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Dario,
You need to add content to your description tag.
<meta name="description" content="">
Make sure to include some of your keywords in it. Also be sure to have some of the words that appear in the top of your page text as well.

Can you add more tags?

Daniel

Dario, you can submit your site to the search engines yourself. I don't have the URL handy but the submission page is not all that hard to find. there are only about three that matter anyway.
Google, Yahoo, and I can't remember the third. anyway it is just a simple form that lists your site for there next crawl.
what is important is what you do before the crawl. get your site linked to as many other sites as you can. certainly related sites like craft groups, forums, people with other hand crafted items. as the search engines crawl those sites they find your link and add you to the list of site to visit.
this is when your discriptions and keywords come in. it will check those then see if the text on your pages matches your keywords so use as many keywords in yoru text as you can. use as many variations or pen as possible. Pen, writing Pen, Fountain,Pen, Ballpoint pen, rollerball, writing instrument,
since I try to write at least some little ditty for each pen it is pretty easy to have my pages loaded with my keywords.
you can have hand turned in your keywords. then somewhere on your site but it is best on your home page. to have a description or comment about how they are hand turned.
the search engines don't like it when the context of your site does not have the keywords in it. if it is bad enough they will actually axclude your site from future crawls.
the very best thing you can do is have people go directly to your site. put a link in your signature of everything you do. even posting here. it adds up to when people click on it even out of curiousity. it makes all the search engines awaire that your have arrived. for the first year the biggest advantage of having a web site for me was being able to just hand the URL to people when they asked about my pens. it's like having your inventory with you any time you are near a computer you can use.

btboone

Good information Daniel. That's exactly the stuff I've learned too. I don't get that many hits, but the ones I do get are very productive. I've been consistantly slammed for the last few months. I get a lot of traffic from sites where people are talking about my stuff. These word of mouth endorsements are the best form of advertizing.

Alta Vista used to be another search engine that you could submit to. They all change their rules and are bought by one another that it's hard to keep current on that stuff. Google pulls in something like 3X the traffic of my next search engine, which is Yahoo. There's also ask.com.

Dario

Thanks guys!!!

I already got myself added to Google, AltaVista and a few other woodworking sites. I guess I have to work with my Meta Tags a bit more. The challenge is that SiteKreator may not allow me...but I'll work on it this week.[:D]

Great tips Daniel, I need to read it well and re-read it when I am ready. Right now I am about to crash...been up late the past week.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There are several factors in getting your Website near the top of the list of the search engines.

There is one sure way to get your site to the top of the list of the search engine and keep it there - you pay for it. The 1st page for many searches for pens and woodturners will be sponsored links. That tells me that a lot of woodturners are paying to get to the front of the line.

Other than that, the most important factor of all is content. You must give people a reason for visiting your Website, recommending it to others with links, and keep them coming back. The search engines are aware of the numbers, their origin, their consistency, and how long they stay for each visit.

Those key words are important to a search engine, but it is difficult knowing what words people will use for a search. Since words are used to initiate a search, a site with a lot of different words in its page titles will have a better chance of being picked up than one that has nothing but pictures under a title of "Gallery".

As others have said, links from other sites are important, but, they have to be links that are used. Having a lot of links that nobody uses doesn't count. Getting your site mentioned on these forums is an important link. If my Website is any example, every link that is posted here on the IAP is good for at least 100 hits.

Time is a factor because activity and links build over time

My own Website has been active for 4 years. In the beginning most of the hits came from a search engine. That has changed to where 50% of the hits are from links, 30% are direct access, and only 20% are from a search engine.

Pipes

One of the BEST ways to get the crawlers to spot you and move you up in the serch engines is to LINK with as many GOOD web sites as YOU can I have a LINKS page and I can tell you I pay for a tracking prograqm to see were my site hits come from and it works !!!

Anyone here with a Business wants to swap links with me I do it for MOST folks that ask IF we know there a Business we can recomend !! even the folks that sell the same things we do !! all you got to do is e mail us and ask !!! tell my wife your from IAP ..we also have a inserting company to get us moved up and a few more tricks !!! we average about 250 hits a day ! And if anyone don't think thats a lot YOUR wrong we make a good living from our site !!! I also have a BIG e mail list we have bult from cust asking for our news letter we send out on sales we run about 2 times a month !! via e amil !! we are only web based and it took us a few yrs to build a solid core of customers ! but get linked up you will be suprised IMHO .... plus place like here you can add in your web link IF you own it like i do at the bottom of all my posts here... crawelers are all over this site iam sure a LOT ! There on my site often !!!!everytime you can post your link or have others do it its a plus on moving up ! we apear in the top 10 in many of the key catagories and are # 1 in some I also link 5 other .coms I own that automaticly send us trafic when they click in it redirects them to our site this is done by our web host as a service !!! like I own Tobaccopiperepair.com and thepenstop.com and smokingpiperepair.com and a few more !!!hope this helps ....

http://affordablepipes.com/

Dario

Thanks guys!!!

Now things makes a bit more sense.

Funny, I work in IT but almost clueless when it comes to this area [:I]. But our pre-historic system is about to be upgraded...maybe it will help me get more exposure to web design...or at least understanding the workings of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom