Has anyone tried pouring Alumilite with Lexan?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcimm2000

I'm attempting a new method of making "thin red line" blanks. My first attempt failed. I centered a strip of Lexan in a 3/4 pcv tube and used Alumilite clear (colored blue). After 3 hours in the pressure pot, the Alumilite slid right off the Lexan. Last night I tried again and paid more attention to rough sanding both sides of the Lexan. It seems to be holding. I'll wait about a week before I trim the cylinders and attempt to drill for tubes.

I'm hoping this works as trying to rip 1/8 strips from a cast block of red and gluing it between 2 sections of blue is tedious and not as consistent as using 1/8 Lexan.

Maybe there's a better way.....

Don Rabchenuk

If I recall correctly, I have seen where people have used Lexan as forms when using epoxy. If this is the case you may have a problem for you as it peals right off.

howsitwork

please let us know how you get on but I am with Don on this as Lexan ( polycarbonate ) is not great for gluing to. I use it to avoid glue sticking in some cases .

Could you not just pour some aluminite on a non stick surface bordered by some plasticine and allow to cure? If it's a thin layer you could use heat to get any air bubbles out ? There are online guys who allow it to semi cure then bend the strips and push into a fresh batch of resin and then put in pressure pot to get swirl lines. Haven't tried it personally but there are a few utube videos of it.

Top Bottom