Harvest Surprise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

This weekend I brought up part of a tulip poplar tree that my father-in-law had taken down. When I got it home. I sealed one end with latex paint and went to bed.

Last night I got home from work and saw that something had bored through the paint from the inside! I quickly cut up what I really wanted and set the rest on the curb. What I kept I soaked in ant killer (which really brought out the color). Is there a better way?

By the way, my father-in-law has plenty of the tree left. If you are in the Cincinnati area and can deal with the borers send me a PM and I will try to hook you up. The wood is free and so are the pests!

If you're in the Reynoldsburg, OH area there is a small selection at the curb in front of my house until someone takes it.

P.S. I'm told it makes lousy firewood!!

4/26 - Post corrected to show correct variety of wood. Thanks for the interest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

You can kill the borers numerous ways...

1) Solarize. Put in plastic bag (heavy/thick black trash bag is ideal) seal and put in an area receiving lots of sunlight...leave there for 2 weeks and all should be dead by then.

2) Suffocate. Same as above but run a hose from a smoke source to the bag before sealing. Your car exhaust is one source.

3) Same as above but put a piece of "dry ice" inside before sealing the bag.

4) Same as above but put lots of alcohol inside (DNA is ideal).

There are more but there should be one here that will work for you. On nos 2,3 and 4...you can't afford a tear. #1 is more "forgiving" but takes the longest [;)]

Dario

The DNA method works 2 ways...it will also help your wood dry faster after. You can save the DNA and use it for other soaking also. If you can get a big container that you can seal, it may be better...or use the heavy plastic inside a container/tub.

fuzzydog

Here's another way. When the wifey not watching, place pieces of the wood in the microwave, 2 minutes on the lowest setting will fry them little suckers. It is generally not long enough to make the wood hot, warm yes but not hot. You may find that it creates an unpleasent smell but I never experienced a problem.
David

My mother was a travel agent for guilt trips. [:D][:D][:D]

whatwoodido

Tulip Popular burns very fast, but it is great for getting a fire going. You need to be very careful about what chemicals you put on the wood, when you turn or cut the wood the chemicals will be released into the air, particularly bad when sanding. For that reason I don't receommend using pesticides. Dario's suggestions are quite good though.

Drew

alamocdc

You can get a GE microwave at Sam's for $30 and it has a turntable. Just big enough for the shop and small enough at the same time. Then wifey won't have to get mad when she catches you. [;)]

53Jim

Alamocdc wrote:
You can get a GE microwave at Sam's for $30 and it has a turntable. Just big enough for the shop and small enough at the same time. Then wifey won't have to get mad when she catches you.

Ya right, Billy. Read the part that I enlarged... THEY always find out when us MEN do something we shouldn't.[:(][B)]

Hi gang,
Some of the the flaming is only skin deep, but some of the blanks I was able to cut have some awesome coloring. So much so that I took the best looking blank to the nuke oven. On the second time in the oven, I didn't notice that the power dial had slid to HIGH.

Now I know why this stuff is called Flame Box Elder. Boy did I catch hell when the smoke alarms started going off on the main floor.
I really wish I had a stand alone shop. It took almost 4 hours with a fan in the basement window to get the smoke and smell out, but I'm still in the doghouse.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom