Hardware for Christmas Ornaments - Kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

As much as I am currently obsessed by pens and pen making, as evidenced by the fact that I have agreed to be a vendor for my son's high school music department fund raiser at their November Crafts Show, I will have to offer more than pens (darn!). I've often created little birdhouse ornaments as well as just nice, turned ornaments for friends and family.

2006511131316_4%20bird%20houses%20resized.jpg

However, I am looking for an easier way to make these things - much like turning pens - on a mandrel with hardware that can be pressed into either side when the ornament is completed. Much like this:

2006511131717_Christmas%20Ornament%20w%20hardware.jpg

Can anyone provide information for this kind of kit/hardware? Or, has anyone found a way to use pen kit brass tubes with some other existing hardware?

Best,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texas Taco

I think I got my kits from CUSA or Hutt. Decided to do the kits to get some done real quick, wasn't expecting much but they turned out better than I thought they would.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Hemibee
<br />I think I got my kits from CUSA or Hutt. Decided to do the kits to get some done real quick, wasn't expecting much but they turned out better than I thought they would.

Tony,

The kits from CUSA are large birdhouse kits - although you can purchase the hardware for the end. But these do not employ a brass tube/mandrel system with ends that are pressed in - like pens.

I haven't checked out Hutt - I'll try them. Thanks for that tip.

Anyone else have information?

Best,
Roger Garrett

woodwish

I don't have a CSUSA catalog in front of me but I thought they made a kit that looked a lot like the one you have in the second photo. Maybe it was a blumb bob or something else. The down side to making them solid like that would be the weight it seems to me.

Last year I made a bunch out of soft maple that I turned to look like big light bulbs to give away, dyed them different colors and put a clear finish on them. Really was pretty quick and easy, I think I posted photos somewhere before but don't have them on this computer (I'm at work, the boss thinks I'm really busy doing some research). This year I made and gave away a bunch of really nice ones that were hollowed out with nice tapered finials (10x as much work), but several relatives asked me if I had any of the bulbs left! [:(!]

You could use your tube of choice for the base and turn the top and bottom finials with a tenon to glue and press in. Many of the common tubes can be purchased in various lengths from hobby stores. Turn custom bushings or borrow one that is the appropriate size from a pen kit.

Brian

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Nice looking ornaments!

Thanks![:D]

Thank you to all who responded - I found kits at both CSUSA and Hut - both of which I will be ordering.

I also like the idea of turning my own ends - something I've been doing without doing it separately, but now might try it in a separate step.

This hobby is getting awfully expensive awfully fast.[xx(]

Best,
Roger Garrett

woodwish

OK, had a few more minutes to "research" some. Remotely retreived this from home computer that I was talking about earlier-

2006511211650_light%20bulb%20ornament.jpg

They really do make up fast once you get the hand of the shape, just another idea-

BigRob777

Wow, it is that time already. I'll be posting ads for ornament blanks soon. If you are interested, just e-mail me. I want to make some ornaments myself and it's good to know where I can get the kits. Thanks.
Rob

BTW, Roger, you made some really nice ornaments. I love the gloss. What is your finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom