Harbor Freight Transfer Punches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingerworks

I found a thread that recommended purchasing the Transfer Punch set from Harbor Freight for dissembling pens. I just received mine today and I have a question that I'm hoping someone who uses them can answer. The punches have a pointed and a blunt end. Should I grind the point off so that I have two blunt ends? I'm concerned that the sharp point will damage the pen parts.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

I did not grind mine down. Most of the parts you are trying to punch out are hollow in the middle, so the point does not contact. I love the set because there is always one that fits almost perfectly into the tube or part.

For instance. to disassemble a slimline. Pull the pen apart in the middle and select the punch that barely fits through the twist mechanism. The outside shoulder will contact the inside taper of the tip, tap it out with no point contact. Now select the punch for the lower barrel. The outside shoulder will engage with the twist mechanism and it can be tapped out without the point interfering. Also with the finial the point does not contact anything, it is the shoulder the does the pushing.

Certainly if you are only going to use them for pens, it won't hurt anything to grind down the points to be safe.

I will say that if you try to actually use them as transfer punches on anything harder than wood, those points will take care of themselves. [:p](by bending or breaking off)

KKingery

Wow - another great topic. I've been to the Harbor Freight website a hundred times, and did'nt know they even had a punch set. Thank guys! If they really work, they are less than 1/2 the price I've found anywhere else for dis-assembly tools. I swear, I learn something new here everyday...

G

I have found that the smallest punnch is too short for some of the slimlines I make.
When that happens I continue to press in the tranmission andknock the nib out with the small punch or a brass rod from toilet bowl parts at the harware store.
I the use the mandrel on the lathe and a block of wood with th hole in it to press out the transmission.

I use the HF punches for the reat of the components.
Word of caution.
WHen gripping and psrt and using the punches take off any rings on the hand you are using to grip the pen with.
I have dented wood pens and scratched antler.

daledut

To add to what eagle said. I wrap a piece of rubber shelf liner (made as a non slip suface for kitchen cabinet shelves) around the body of the pen to grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom