Had to buy a new laser burner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I dropped mine! I carry it back and forth from home to the blind center and as I was lifting it out of the bag I carry it in, it slipped out of my hand and hit the floor. Broke the case in several places, and messed up the communications. It still burns and charges...but all I can burn is the last name I burned on a pen that is stored in its memory. I even tried running it off my smart phone, thinking that might bypass the damaged part...no joy. He's dead, Jim. I'll keep it for parts just in case...the new one seems almost identical.

New one came yesterday. A little different...power switch in a new place, but basically the same 1500 burner. Software a little different...newer version. I use it so much that I really missed it the three or four days I was without it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I will help you with the replacement. I also didn't realize that you were a WAC. Thank you!PM me your PP. Thank you. I have more refills for you if needed.

mecompco

Plenty of good parts there--it's wise to have a spare diode if you depend on these unit and now you do. Good to hear you're back burning. :)

sbwertz

It runs really well off my smartphone. That means I don't have to lug a netbook back and forth to the blind center.

Thanks, Tony, but my husband bought it for me as a gift.

It is the NEJE, but has a different name on it because I bought it on Amazon instead of directly from China so I could have it two day shipping. It has another brand painted on the front, but the label on the back says NEJE.

Jeff, I mostly burn names on pens and other turnings. If you are blind, you are a sitting duck for someone to steal from you. Having your name burned on your pen means if you misplace it, whoever finds it knows who it belongs to. (After all, if you are blind, you can't look for it!) Also, it can't be sold on ebay if someone else's name is on it. I burn a name on almost every pen we make, and on a lot of other turnings as well. I also make luggage tags, and tags to go on their white canes. I have some little 1" maple discs that I burn a five speed shift pattern on, and inset into the top of a bottle stopper shaped like a gear shift handle. I put the blind center's logo on pens and pen boxes that they give as gifts to sponsors, etc. I made a bunch of pens for a local physical therapy and put each person's name on it and the name of the practice. I make little wooden tags to hang on the peppermills that my turners make for the center to sell that has the center's logo on one side and the kind of wood the mill is made from on the other, etc. It gets used virtually every day I am at the center, and most days that I am at home, since I often bring pens home with me to burn because I don't have time to do them all at the center. I love to make personalized gifts for friends and family, as well.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I will help you with the replacement. I also didn't realize that you were a WAC. Thank you!PM me your PP. Thank you. I have more refills for you if needed.

Yes, I was a WAC stationed first in the Pentagon, then later at West Point Military Academy hospital when my husband was transferred to West Point. Went in right out of high school in 1961, then later got my degree on the GI Bill.

George883

Hi Sharon, I'm a new turner, Peoria, AZ, and have started making some pens for family and friends and was thinking of engraving their names on the pen. Does your engraver allow you to engrave more than one line?

sbwertz

George, you can use a rotary jig to burn multiple lines or large images or logos. I don't have one, but I have a little stand my son made me on his 3d printer to hold the pen in place in the burner, and when I do need to burn more than one line, I just roll the pen slightly and burn the second line. The little jig allows me to rotate the pen without getting it out of alignment.

MagicBob, I don't have the rotary jig, but I've been following the development and will probably get one eventually.

Top Bottom