Guess The Skin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PR_Princess

Sorry Cav... I have been a bit swamped playing catch up at work and trying to keep to Exotics mini Holiday show rush. But that is now ending.

I did receive the envelope from Hank with just oodles of cool skins inside.:cool: I am sure that we can put this together. But, can you give me a clue as to just how many blanks you had in mind?

Details, man, I need DE-TAILS!!!
(What can I say...I'm female!!:rolleyes:)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dawn, I think you can use the whole skin, not just de tails.:rolleyes:

Hopefully wek could have 4 or 5 skins. Last year on the guess the blank contest we did one per week.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dawn,

If there are any left overs after experimenting, they are for you to use as you wish. If you need more, Let me know.

Next, question, What will the prize(s) be for the winner? Will it come from the prizes department.

Caveat: when the guessing starts, Charlie, (NewLondon) and Kirk Franks do not get to guess. They have had one of two of those. Kirk said it was hard for him to cast. Charlie had different species but I don't think he did anything with it yet.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Prizes are something that's not going to be known for a while yet...I'm just starting canvassing, and then we have to divvy them up...I wouldn't count on prizes being allocated for a while yet...

But a thought comes to mind - a great prize for the 'guess that skin' would be pen blanks made out of that very skin! :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Prizes are something that's not going to be known for a while yet...I'm just starting canvassing, and then we have to divvy them up...I wouldn't count on prizes being allocated for a while yet...

But a thought comes to mind - a great prize for the 'guess that skin' would be pen blanks made out of that very skin! :)

Andrew, I thought of sending / offering some of the skins as a prize, but after two fairly skilled fellows had difficulties in casting the skin that I sent, I know that most people will not be able to do anything with them. Dawn also explained to me that some skins are more difficult than others and the dye/coloring sometimes has something to do with it.

I am not going to say that the skin identification is a done deal just yet. Got to wait and see if these can be made into blanks first. If Dawn is able to do that, the credit will ALL go to her. Purchasing the skins was the easy part.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That's good, cause if she gets it to work, we will be looking to purchase MORE skins, if possible!!!

She started casting skins because I wanted a specific cobra cast. The skin is still there. She has cast several other cobras--without success. But a small company emerged, so who's complaining???

Skins are unpredictable.

PR_Princess

Let me see what I can do. If muti blanks can be made from a unique skin, that sounds like a great prize to me. IIRC Isn't that what was done last year with guess the wood (?)

Hank, you sent WAY more skins than I think that we will need. After is all said and done for the BB, I'll get together with you to see what we can do with the balance of the skins.

Ed, who knows..maybe with getting to play with all these cool skins again, I will get a chance to work on that white cobra that you bought. LOL and yes you are complaining!!! :biggrin:

And Cav, sorry, my mistake! I thought that with working in the prison and all, that you were an expert de tailer !! :tongue::cool:

PR_Princess

Cav, I think that this contest is more than viable! :biggrin: Not all of Hank's skins may turn out, but I have a few oddities that can more than fill in any gaps.

But I was thinking....did you want other forms of "skin" cast? Just to mix it up a bit?
Things like veggie skins, rolling papers...(Not that I would know anything about those...:rolleyes:)

wdcav1952

Dawn,

Belated answer, but I think some Zig-Zag blanks would be great. :angel:

OK, this contest is a go.

I would like to go with the idea that the winners get a couple of blanks made from the blank that they correctly identified.

Can you come up with 8 different blanks? That way we could have two contests per week.

Andrew, if the blanks are the prize, I would say that there is no need for any of your prizes to be used in this contest.

Thanks Dawn and Hank for getting this one going!

PR_Princess

Cav, just to make sure that I am understanding you..

You were thinking of 8 different skins X 2 prize blanks plus one blank (and kit) that would have to be turned, so a total of 24 blanks?

wdcav1952

Dawn,

One blank per week for a total of four blanks is fine. Sorry if I sounded greedy on the contests. :redface: If the winner gets that blank and a kit to make it with is that alright with you.

I don't want to over work you or Andrew will open a can of Whoop Ass on me!:eek::)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dawn, I gave some suggested dates for this on the calander. If you are ok with these dates, then we will need pics etc asap please.
If we don't have pics, we have a non starter:rolleyes:

Had any idea on the rules? I reckon it should be kept pretty simple.
Only one guess per person, but the guess can be changed as many times as they want till closing time. First correct or closest wins:confused:

PR_Princess

First Steven, thanks for jumping in and helping Hank out on this!! I am sure that he would much rather be on the forum that being called away to work.. Geeze, and I was just getting used to Japan time!

For the rules, since you and I are both new at this, I might bow to that old rule meister Cav. He ran the wood version of this contest last year. Maybe we could his rules as the base and just adapt (read edit :eek:) them? :confused:
Wood rules:

The rules for the contest are as follows:

Each Sunday in February a new wood ID quiz will be posted and the winner announced the following Saturday. As we have a worldwide membership the timbers chosen will be from around the world reflecting that membership and giving everyone a chance to win. The prizes will be two blanks of the timber in question. The judges' decision is final (unless your offering me a free condo in Florida, if so please pm me!) The answers to the quiz have to be botanical names with an accompanying common name. An example would be Brazilian Rosewood or Rio Rosewood are common names for a species named Dalbergia nigra. Sometimes a plant will have two botanical names if this is the case I will accept any synonyms. The winner will be the first person to correctly name the woods botanical and common local name together. We will leave the quiz running all week and the winner will be announced on Saturday.

Edit, with thanks to Skye:

Guesses will be made on the thread for each contest each week.
Prizes limited to one per contest.

OH, and if this contest starts later in the day tomorrow - after you get home from work..I think that would be perfectly fine!!!:biggrin::redface:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
First Steven, thanks for jumping in and helping Hank out on this!!
Gee, and all this time I thought it was you I was trying to help:rolleyes: Cav was correct...I've been tricked:eek:

The rules for the contest are as follows:

Each Sunday in February a new wood ID quiz will be posted and the winner announced the following Saturday. As we have a worldwide membership the timbers chosen will be from around the world reflecting that membership and giving everyone a chance to win. The prizes will be two blanks of the timber in question. The judges' decision is final (unless your offering me a free condo in Florida, if so please pm me!) The answers to the quiz have to be botanical names with an accompanying common name. An example would be Brazilian Rosewood or Rio Rosewood are common names for a species named Dalbergia nigra. Sometimes a plant will have two botanical names if this is the case I will accept any synonyms. The winner will be the first person to correctly name the woods botanical and common local name together. We will leave the quiz running all week and the winner will be announced on Saturday.

Edit, with thanks to Skye:

Guesses will be made on the thread for each contest each week.
Prizes limited to one per contest.

Mmmm....kinda like the simple version I mentioned above, just more complex:biggrin: You want the Biological Latin name for these skins?:eek:

OH, and if this contest starts later in the day tomorrow - after you get home from work..I think that would be perfectly fine!!!:biggrin::redface:

Aw gee thanks:redface: I'd hate to be responsible for delaying the party...:wink: and make us look like beginners at Amatuer Hour

:wink: Got those pics yet??

PR_Princess

Steven, go a head post the pictures and the blanks that you like the best to kick us off!:biggrin::tongue:

Thanks a mil for stepping in helping out on this!!

Edit in...
Hey Latin names may came in handy! Some of these guys will go to the ends of the earth win a blank!

And who are you going to believe anyway...me or Cav?? (Never mind..don't answer that!:eek:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom