Greetings from Ireland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ivanhoe

Greetings to all here.

I live in Northern Ireland and have recently become interested in pen turning as a hobby, so I though that before I start, and probably make a complete mess of it, I'd join forums like this to learn from the experts!

I have one question, if anyone can answer it for me, it concerns Celluloid, which I see many people are now turning pens from. I worked with Celluloid professionally many years ago, and soon discovered that it is violently flammable! It would ignite from sawing friction, and we always had someone standing beside the saw with an extinguisher whenever it was being cut! How do people handle it for making pens? I know that I would be VERY hesitant about using it for any purpose!

Wilf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Welcome Aboard Wilf.

I've heard some of the horror stories about Celluloid, but the couple pieces I've worked with did fine without any precautions. Assuming they are actually celluloid and not a modern equivalent.

BKelley

Wilford,

Welcome, I think you will enjoy the IAP and you will surely benifit from some of the experts. Celluliod, ummmm!! You are quite right about about it being so flammable. I have worked with the material and always use caution. Never, never let celluliod sawdust gather under your power saw, lathe or anywhere in the shop. One spark will set it off in a big whooof. My advise is to stay away from it, but if you must, saw very slowly and turn and polish carefully. Years ago cutlery companies used celluliod and had a lot of instantious explosions from accumulated dust. Recently I have seen one company advertising celluliod, I ordered out some and when I recieved it, it was not celluliod. They have since stopped using the word celluliod in their catalog. Those who have worked with genuine celluliod will regconize the distinct smell of camphor when it is rubbed briskly on the britches leg. Lots of luck and lots of happy turning.

GoodTurns

Welcome aboard! Lots of info here on how to get started, what you may or may not need and tons on techniques and LOTS OF OPINIONS! Congrats on finding us and starting your new hobby.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Because you asked, I will comment.

I am NOT a chemist. I did, however, purchase some celluloid years ago from a factory in Europe that blew up. (So, I guess it was flammable). As I understand it, the material becomes less volatile, once it has aged or "cured" completely.

The "marketing guy" in me is always skeptical when I read the description of the blanks offered for sale by CSUSA and others. "Celluloid" describes vintage pens and is perceived as a quality product, so their descriptions add that. When turned, it frequently does NOT display the characteristics. But, I am not a chemist.

However, there ARE a couple chemists on the IAP. Perhaps they can give a technical answer.

As to turning, I have turned the "celluloid" from the factory that blew up. It melts easily, so temperature has to be kept down, as a practical matter. I suspect it is only partially celluloid or the "curing" is the answer. It would now be over 10 years old.

Sorry I can't be more precise!!

Welcome to IAP!!!

Ivanhoe

Thanks

Many thanks for all the kind welcomes to the Forum, I'm sure that I will be able to get any information and help I may need from members. I particularly like the sensible "Don't run before you can walk" advice that I have noted here
Further to my question about using Celluloid, I have since discovered that the present-day Celluloid is a different product to the stuff which I was using about 40 years ago. The present product (I am told) is a different chemical make-up, changed to reduce it's flammability, it is still flammable, but not to the extent that the old stuff was, but the smell of hot celluloid would still frighten the **** out of me, and I have no intention of using it!

Wilf

broitblat

Welcome to the addiction. I look forward to seeing what you turn out.

I suspect much of what we see labeled as celluloid is something else entirely, but if you want to be safe, there are plenty of other great looking materials so it should be easy to avoid the celluloid.

I remember hearing stories (from before my time) of movie projectors going up in flames back when film was made of celluloid.

-Barry

ryvnd2001

Irish Blackthorn

Welcome. I bought some blackthorn from Ireland. Turned a pen for an Irish friend. The wood looks like it will be plain, but to my suprise there was plenty of knots and figure in it. Try it out!

ctubbs

Welcome Wilfred form far west Kentucky USA. There is an abundance of info already on this site. On the home page in the upper right side there is a link called " Library Index". It containsall sorts of info sheets and tutorials. If you start today, you might be throug by this time next year. Just kidding. But there is a tremendous amount of data there. When you have an question that is not listed there, a quick post will bring some answers.
Charles

Top Bottom