Greetings from Illinois!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kfoss

Hello, I am Kevin from the Chicago area. I am seriously toying around with the idea of a kickstarter or gofund me to start a bespoke pen business to make some extra throwing around money. I have some social media momentum already and have seen how valuable Instagram is for starting a successful brand. I am a mechanical engineer by trade and have many ideas to fill gaps in the fountain pen market. The resurgent buzz of the fountain pen market doesn't seem to be slowing down and I want a part of it! Right now trying to learn as much as my can and am starting to determine if I want to make the plunge. College is expensive, and I would love to earn some extra money to help save for my one year old's college education!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Wow ! . You sound rather ambitious !!!

But let's be clear ...

... making "some extra throwing around money" and saving "for my one year old's college education" are not really commensurate goals ! Which is it ?

Most of us make pens for the sheer love of it and don't seriously expect to make money.

But, I wish you luck ! . Maybe you can show us how to do it !!!

Welcome To IAP, Kevin !!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP. IIRC, you are not the first one here to mention GoFundMe for pen making. There are local markets in different places that have not been tapped yet - and there are thousands of pen makers around. Some come and go and a few stay on for the long haul.

Very very few people have markets just because they are hand made, but rather one has to have an artistic bent, be precise in fittings, and be consistent with a finish that your market wants. As to fountain pens, they are the higher end market, but fountain pen owners are more finicky, so knowing the nibs, the types of nibs, feed and other FP related info, and comparisons will become important to the higher end buyer.

You are an engineer, so get your calipers out and measure, measure, measure. Don't trust bushings for sizing.

Here is our library with some great information: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

I would bet that if the experience of the contributors of all the submitted articles were totaled, you would have close to a 1000 years pen making/turning experience there. It is a good library.

Last edited:

thewishman

Welcome from Ohio. Don't let doubters get you down, there are plenty of ways to make and market pens. You'll probably upgrade your tools and techniques as you go, but the best way to start is to just start.:)

kfoss

Welcome to IAP. IIRC, you are not the first one here to mention GoFundMe for pen making. There are local markets in different places that have not been tapped yet - and there are thousands of pen makers around. Some come and go and a few stay on for the long haul.

Very very few people have markets just because they are hand made, but rather one has to have an artistic bent, be precise in fittings, and be consistent with a finish that your market wants. As to fountain pens, they are the higher end market, but fountain pen owners are more finicky, so knowing the nibs, the types of nibs, feed and other FP related info, and comparisons will become important to the higher end buyer.

You are an engineer, so get your calipers out and measure, measure, measure. Don't trust bushings for sizing.

Here is our library with some great information: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

I would bet that if the experience of the contributors of all the submitted articles were totaled, you would have close to a 1000 years pen making/turning experience there. It is a good library.

I know fountain pen buyers are picky... I am one of those picky buyers. This year I went to the pen show and didn't buy a pen because I couldn't find one I was happy with everything that wasn't well over $200. Perhaps I was being too picky, but some designs I saw need updating. What I like in pens is the design and harmony of everything, not just fancy resins. Additionally, I would like to be able to make pens for vintage nibs and feeds and have ideas on how to execute some unique features and designs that could be very popular. I know it won't be easy and won't happen overnight, but might as well start learning!

Top Bottom