Greetings from Boerne, TX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Hello,

I found IAP from a link on someone's sig on woodnet. I've been reading for a couple of days and decided that I should join up. Hoping to learn lots, and, as there's a gob to learn here, I'm sure some of it will sink in, :biggrin:.

I just bought a lathe a week ago and am finishing building the stand tonight. hopefully, some day I can approach the beauty of what I've seen here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Welcome aboard! I recently started as well. Hope your wallet is prepared! :biggrin:

Ain't that the truth. Fortunately, I was able to get the Rikon lathe that Woodcraft has on sale this month, so that part of it wasn't TOO painful. It's just all the other stuff. You know, when you buy a table saw, maybe you need to get a better blade, but all things considered, that's about it. With a lathe, it looks like the lathe itself is just a gateway drug to tool poverty, lol.

skywizzard

Dow, welcome from GA. As Wheaties said, be prepared. Penturning is addictive. First the lathe, then tools, well maybe more tools, oh... yeah I need a sharpener. Gee... my old drill press just isn't getting it done need a new one. What about all this dust, had to get a DC. Oh well, you get the idea. Anyway Welcome.

skywizzard

Dow, welcome from GA. As Wheaties said, be prepared. Penturning is addictive. First the lathe, then tools, well maybe more tools, oh... yeah I need a sharpener. Gee... my old drill press just isn't getting it done need a new one. What about all this dust, had to get a DC. Oh well, you get the idea. Anyway Welcome.

Oh, I forgot the new bandsaw and of course the now several hundred blanks and kits:biggrin:

Rollerbob

Computer mechanic, huh?...........so, if you need a creeper, grease gun, ball peen or impact wrench.........I'm your man!! Welcome!!:wink:

dow

Computer mechanic, huh?...........so, if you need a creeper, grease gun, ball peen or impact wrench.........I'm your man!! Welcome!!:wink:

I'll keep that in mind :biggrin:. I also change light bulbs, fix toilets, and whatever else gets the goat.:)

jedgerton

Dow,

Welcome from Austin! I sometimes think a good marketing ploy would be to give lathes away free if there was just some way to lock people into buying their supplies from the lathe vendor.

Look dear, I got a free Rikon-Jet-Delta Ultra Supreme Mach XXVI lathe and now I just need some compatible pen kits and blanks and tools and ...

John

dow

I sometimes think a good marketing ploy would be to give lathes away free if there was just some way to lock people into buying their supplies from the lathe vendor.

I suspect that may be the plan. lol. The lathe was on sale for 260, and I felt lucky to get out the door for just over 400, :eek:. Not to mention chisels from Harbor Freight (don't want to ruin good ones learning how to sharpen), a grinder from HD, and some stuff from http://www.woodnwhimsies.com. Thank goodness that I'm planning on making other things besides pens. I'm going to have to turn all kinds of stuff to restore marital bliss :biggrin:.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Dow. Join in the fun here and make some pens.

As a welcome I am including a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. Hope it helps.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Fred

Welcome to the Forum, Dow! Glad to have you sign on for duty. You got questions ... just ask ... someone (or everyone) here will have an answer. May not be the one you expected, but an answer none the less!

dasimm

I suspect that may be the plan. lol. The lathe was on sale for 260, and I felt lucky to get out the door for just over 400, :eek:. Not to mention chisels from Harbor Freight (don't want to ruin good ones learning how to sharpen), a grinder from HD, and some stuff from http://www.woodnwhimsies.com. Thank goodness that I'm planning on making other things besides pens. I'm going to have to turn all kinds of stuff to restore marital bliss :biggrin:.

You got that right - my wife keeps "requisitioning" the things I turn. What do ya do??? It's either that or take up needle point... LOL

BTW - Welcome from North Texas. Be sure to join your local chapter for the monthly/bi-monthly meetings. They are a blast and you get to meet some real stand up folks.

Top Bottom