Greetings from Bilbao, Spain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mutiltxo

Hello, good morning:

Thank you for accepting me into the organization.

I want to apologize for my terrible level of English, which forces me to use online translators.

I live in the north of Spain and although I have been making pens on the lathe for a few years, I will always consider myself a novice eager to learn.

All the best,

Rober.-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Welcome Rober. Most of us are eager to help when needed. Enjoy your time here and be sure to check out the library to a wealth of information. We look forward to seeing your work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

egnald

Saludos desde Nebraska, EE. UU.
(Greetings from Nebraska, USA).

Y Bienvenido a la comunidad IAP.
(And Welcome to the IAP community).
Todos encontramos formas de superar las diferencias en los idiomas.
(We all find ways to overcome differences in languages).
Estoy deseando ver algunos de tus trabajos.
(I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work).

Me gustaría volver a visitar España algún día, especialmente Barcelona. Fue maravilloso.
(I would like to visit Spain again one day, especially Barcelona. It was wonderful).

Atentamente,
Dave

BULLWINKLE

Saludos desde Nebraska, EE. UU.
(Greetings from Nebraska, USA).

Y Bienvenido a la comunidad IAP.
(And Welcome to the IAP community).
Todos encontramos formas de superar las diferencias en los idiomas.
(We all find ways to overcome differences in languages).
Estoy deseando ver algunos de tus trabajos.
(I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work).

Me gustaría volver a visitar España algún día, especialmente Barcelona. Fue maravilloso.
(I would like to visit Spain again one day, especially Barcelona. It was wonderful).

Atentamente,
Dave
Dave, I hope you do get to visit Spain someday. It's a beautiful country. One bit of advice if you do. Do not go off season to save money. Summer in Spain is brutal.
Hottest day I was there was 119 degrees F !
Hard to enjoy when you are roasting.

Mutiltxo

Hello, good afternoon:

Thank you all very much for your welcome!

The south of Spain between June and September is difficult to visit due to the high temperatures, which, as they say before, could seem like Texas or any other place with a reputation for being hot.

Luckily I live in the north, on the shores of the Cantabrian Sea, where strangely we reach 30 degrees in summer or go below 0 in winter, but it rains a lot.

I tell you that I have been reading you for a while, especially the finishing part: I consider that the most durable is CA, but it seems too artificial to me, so I am looking for more "natural" alternatives.

All the best,

Rober.-

BULLWINKLE

Hello, good afternoon:

The south of Spain between June and September is difficult to visit due to the high temperatures, which, as they say before, could seem like Texas or any other place with a reputation for being hot.

Luckily I live in the north, on the shores of the Cantabrian Sea, where strangely we reach 30 degrees in summer or go below 0 in winter, but it rains a lot.

I tell you that I have been reading you for a while, especially the finishing part: I consider that the most durable is CA, but it seems too artificial to me, so I am looking for more "natural" alternatives.

All the best,

Rober.-
Rober, I agree with you about CA finishes.
I usually use lacquer, which is good protection and still feels like wood. Another choice would be a good friction polish. There are many to choose from.
North Spain? Is that near Galicia ?

MedWoodWorx

Hello, good afternoon:

All the best,

Rober.-
Welcome from Greece. Ca is maybe the most durable finish but it feels like plastic. I use walnut oil and finish it with pens plus; i ordered these from US and they work fine but their price is a bit high. You could use boiled linessed oil or maybe make your own friction polish. Check the library section or search other threads for more information. Cheers!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Ohio, have FUN! Consider "Wipe on Polyester" for a finish; can't have too many tools in your box to choose from 🤣 . I use a slow speed turning mandrel under a lamp, can do additional coats in 60 minutes. High humidity will slow down the curing, and I usually wait a few days to handle and assemble. Just another option, but I like the feel of the finish.

BULLWINKLE

Welcome to IAP from Ohio, have FUN! Consider "Wipe on Polyester" for a finish; can't have too many tools in your box to choose from 🤣 . I use a slow speed turning mandrel under a lamp, can do additional coats in 60 minutes. High humidity will slow down the curing, and I usually wait a few days to handle and assemble. Just another option, but I like the feel of the finish.
Wipe on polyester or did you mean polyurethane ???

Mutiltxo

Hello, good afternoon:

Rober, estoy de acuerdo contigo sobre los acabados de CA.
Normalmente uso laca, que es una buena protección y aún se siente como madera. Otra opción sería un buen pulimento por fricción. Hay muchos para elegir.
¿El norte de España? ¿Está cerca de Galicia?

I have Galicia about 4 hours by car: precisely I registered in this forum, being there, in a few days of wood lathe.

I appreciate your comments on the finishes, although keep in mind that here in Spain and in Europe in general, we do not have the overwhelming variety that you have in the USA. From everything I have read and as an alternative to CA (I work on it even though it is not my favorite), I have yet to try the BSO with CA (from what I have read, faster and not as critical as CA alone) and the Pen Plus, which... one day I will get it.

"Wipe with polyester" has also left me intrigued.

Greetings,

Rober.-

MedWoodWorx

Hello, good afternoon:

I have Galicia about 4 hours by car: precisely I registered in this forum, being there, in a few days of wood lathe.

I appreciate your comments on the finishes, although keep in mind that here in Spain and in Europe in general, we do not have the overwhelming variety that you have in the USA. From everything I have read and as an alternative to CA (I work on it even though it is not my favorite), I have yet to try the BSO with CA (from what I have read, faster and not as critical as CA alone) and the Pen Plus, which... one day I will get it.

"Wipe with polyester" has also left me intrigued.

Greetings,

Rober.-
Pens plus is a friction polish, you could make your own with shellac, wax and denaturated alcohol; you just need a few attempts to find the perfect recipe for you. Use the search icon to find more if you are interested or look it up on youtube. Cheers.

P.S. why so many michelin rated restaurants are at your area? Are you guys so fond of cooking?

Mutiltxo

Pens plus is a friction polish, you could make your own with shellac, wax and denaturated alcohol; you just need a few attempts to find the perfect recipe for you. Use the search icon to find more if you are interested or look it up on youtube. Cheers.

P.S. why so many michelin rated restaurants are at your area? Are you guys so fond of cooking?

There are certainly many restaurants with Michelin stars and many others that, without having them, have a lot of quality.

Why? There is a long tradition of cooking as well as going out to eat.

Top Bottom