Greetings and a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello to all, My name is Chris and I started turning pens about 3 months ago. I have been through the HUT wax phase :befuddled: and have come to the conclusion that it is as useful as a fart on a submarine. :eek: What kind of wood would be good to start to try a CA finnish on? Also how many coats of Shellawax to have a good durable finnish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
With Shellawax being a Shellac-Wax, I doubt you'll ever get a 'durable' finish on it, at least by my definition of durable...You'd have to apply it VERY often, and that's not what you'd want, I'd guess...CA fits the bill perfectly.

I think the best wood to practise CA on is 'cheap' wood...you'll mess up a few before you get it right! Just keep trying, and make sure you're using newish CA, so you don't have any age-issues...

Non-oily (i.e. non-exotic) woods are best to start! :)

Good luck!!

GoodTurns

Welcome aboard! Got a brother in Seattle, so you're almost family!

Do a search on CA finish and you will get more info than you could ever hope for.

jkeithrussell

There are probably a thousand posts on CA finishes on the Finishing page. My recommendation is that you take a stack of plain cherry, walnut, or maple blanks and just round them over to about 1/2" diameter. You don't even need to drill them. Just get them round, sand to at least 600 grit, and experiment on them with some of the various CA methods that are posted. I didn't learn how to get a decent CA finish until I quit trying to get everyone else's systems to work for me.

BTW: if you'd like, I would be happy to send you a box of "throw-away blanks" for you to practice with. Just PM me your address if you want some.

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

Welcome from Ohio!

Any non oily wood would be good to start with CA finishes. Search for the video that was floating around, it seems to be the easiest to follow.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Here is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

broitblat

Welcome, Chris.

I agree with the recommendations to pick wood that is not very oily. I'd add that you want to be sure to have a clean, smooth surface to start with. I like to sand to 12000 micromesh or buff before finishing.

-Barry

JimB

There are probably a thousand posts on CA finishes on the Finishing page. My recommendation is that you take a stack of plain cherry, walnut, or maple blanks and just round them over to about 1/2" diameter. You don't even need to drill them. Just get them round, sand to at least 600 grit, and experiment on them with some of the various CA methods that are posted. I didn't learn how to get a decent CA finish until I quit trying to get everyone else's systems to work for me.

Do as Keith says. It is much less frustrating when you are practicing on scrap wood rather than a real blank that you want to make a pen out of.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Chris! I'm from sunny southern California.

Keith's suggestion is a great one. You don't have to go to a whole lot of trouble to get a surface prepared for learning your CA finish. For that matter, get a dowel from one of those woods.

Good luck on your efforts. You've got a great attitude.

Thanks to all, I guess I will wait to complete my ebony and inlace blank till later. I do apartment renovations so I build mirror frames and cabinets so I have lots of spare wood. This should be interesting. I started pen turning as a way to relax, but it sounds like mastering a CA finish won't be one of the relaxing times.

tim self

Oh come on folks, why not the oily woods?!?!? If he can beat those, he could ca that fart in the submarine! Welcome to the vortex.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome from Japan Christopher. Glad to have you with us. There is quite a bit of great information here and some experienced people also - just ask.

Join in the fun!

Marc

Welcome Chris - from another Noo b.

This is a great site, lots of fun folks and the depth of knowledge they share is staggering - and that's just the stuff they share. LOL

Top Bottom