Great drill press for 159 bucks if you need one ch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by hazegry
<br />well guys here it is dont mind the mess still setting up shop and moving things around. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/?sc=1&multi=4&addtype=local&media=image
I got it from woodcraft they had to order it but it was worth the wait.

Can you tell us a little about this drill press? Other than the price that is. What are the tech specs on it?

hazegry

from thier website
The Radial Drill Press is constructed with a rack & pinion for positioning the horizontal arm, allowing the machine to handle every operation of a regular drill press, plus much more. The five spindle speeds facilitate drilling a wide variety of materials, from hard and soft woods, to plastic and non-ferrous metals. The drill press head swivels 360° around the column for working on or off the table. The table tilts 90° left, 45° right, and offers a convenient calibrated scale for accurate angle drilling.

VIEW LARGER IMAGE

Model: 30-140
Swing 34"
Type FloorBench
Motor 1/3 HP
Chuck Size 5/8"
Drilling Capacity 5/8"
Spindle Travel 3-1/8"
Spindle Taper MT2
Head Rotates 360°
Head Tilt 45° R, 90° L
Number of Speeds 5
Speed Range 620 - 3,100
Quill Diameter 2-3/16"
Table 7-3/4"x7-3/4"
Table Tilts 45°
Table Rotates N/A
Column Diameter 2-3/8"
Base 13-5/8"x8-5/16"
Weight 108 lbs
Overall Height 37"

the head extends about 15 inches tilts 90 and 45 degrees and swivels 360 degrees. the top of the press is about 3 feet long. It is huge but for 159 bucks you cant beat it.

hazegry

the lamp you see in the pic is a full size coffee table lamp. I guess you guys wern't impressed with it but I sure love it.
100_4756.jpg

JimGo

somebody else posted something similar recently. Seems like a nice choice, though I'm a bit confused as to the specs you provided. How far does the quill travel? I'm also a little confused by the whole moving head thing; why do you want/need this? I'm not knocking it, just don't understand it.

Good luck with it!

- Jim

hazegry

the quill travel is 3 and 1/8 inches. I didn't buy it specificly for the moving head but since it was only 30 bucks more than the small bench top with 2and 1/2 inches of quill travel I figured why not. I plan on using the indexing head for inlays and things like that

JimGo

OK, can you guys explain this contraption to me? I must just be dense (wouldn't be the first time someone has said that about me) - what the heck is the point of being able to move the head, especially while the drill is running? The only thing I can imagine is if the stock is oriented along the head's travel path, and you want to be able to drill nicely spaced holes. If you can control the head movement well, then you could get a nice, clean row of holes. But I can't see what other advantage the moving head provides.

Jason, please understand that I'm not trying to pick a fight or make fun of your purchase. In fact, had I not just bought the Tradesman DP, I would seriously have considered this. The quill travel is nice, and it's a lot friendlier for the "space challenged" people like me.

hazegry

if you have a straight cut bit you can mill with it I figured that would come in handy and with the angles and all of that I should be able to do some interesting inlays. the radial part of the press is not why I bought it I bought it for the extra quill travel. I just thought that for 30 bucks more it was on heck of an upgrade.

JimGo

Ahhhh, thanks Jason! I hadn't thought about milling with it (obviously). I had read somewhere (in the Wood Magazine review of the Tradesman DP?) that mortising and milling with a DP (even using one as a drum sander) wasn't the best of ideas because it can really mess with the alignment. That made me completely dismiss anything like milling.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom