Gothic fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

This is a fountain pen I made for a friend of mine. I have a pile of the "serpentine" pattern cebloplast that I picked up from a member on here, and I never had used any before, so that became my starting point. My friend wanted a silver engraved overlay on the barrel, so after staring at the material for a while, I had the idea to try something more architectural themed than my normal free-form floral type engravings. I decided on an arch motif. The layout was probably the most difficult part. After cutting in all the lines and removing the background in the negative spaces, I applied a patina to all the silver parts and then polished the high spots for a nice contrast. I had fun with this pen, and it was a nice contrast to doing the looser flowing type engravings (although I really enjoy those too!). It uses a jowo 6 nib, and is about 5.25" long when capped.
F70905AD-1FB8-4DDB-8BA0-CD0D33DC58C5.jpeg
316F11D0-F29C-447F-AED8-2DF38E8B302D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Chuck... This is superb - and I'd have to check your previous renderings, but this may be my favorite. Your metalwork is second to none! Truly, thanks for sharing. 🙏 🙏 🙏

rixstix

Great design John,
I always enjoy seeing what you can do with the raw materials and how fitting those different materials together into such tight tolerances just seems to be magic.

You've probably been asked before but how long is the entire process? From thinking about making the pen until the tools are put away and detritus cleaned up? PMC or sheet goods?

PatrickR

fantastic pen as usual! i have the same ceboplast but have only used it once so far. I found it to be brittle and heat intolerant. Next time should go better.
I'm curious about your choice of reversing the arches/spires on the barrel? I would find it more harmonious if they all went up.

jalbert

fantastic pen as usual! i have the same ceboplast but have only used it once so far. I found it to be brittle and heat intolerant. Next time should go better.
I'm curious about your choice of reversing the arches/spires on the barrel? I would find it more harmonious if they all went up.
Looked better to me when the pen was uncapped. Also the arches going the opposite direction as the barrel taper wouldn't look good to me.

Edit: I guess it doesn't look too bad with the overlay reversed. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. I still prefer the tapers to all go the same way, but the overlay can go on however which way you want.
BB764217-03B6-4348-ACCC-35597A3850C7.jpeg
DB6EEA8A-A27C-481D-9BE5-70F33A30759E.jpeg

Last edited:

jalbert

Great design John,
I always enjoy seeing what you can do with the raw materials and how fitting those different materials together into such tight tolerances just seems to be magic.

You've probably been asked before but how long is the entire process? From thinking about making the pen until the tools are put away and detritus cleaned up? PMC or sheet goods?
I worked on and off over about 3 weeks. I need to get a stop watch to keep track of the entire process. I'd estimate 30+ hours. Silver started off as casting grain. Overlay was a cast tube and I poured ingots and rolled them out into sheet to make the rest of the trim.

Top Bottom