Got this in the mail today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

IMG_1513.JPG

They are calling it bacon bloodwood from Cook Woods. This is the second piece of wood I have bought from them and I have to say I have been very pleased with what I have received. It's pretty cool as you pick out the exact piece you want.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

They have nice stuff but their shipping can be high. Being I lost my exotic woods dealer in my area I have to rely on online sales. That kills me because I was able to hand pick my pieces and the dealer had premium stuff.

KenB259

I have only bought from them what I can't get locally. My local wood store, only 5 miles away, is awesome, but they don't always have everything. This piece was unusual enough that I couldn't say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

bsshog40

About everything I buy is online. We live in oilfield country, not much sales for premium wood around here. Nice piece of wood. Looks like it will have a nice grain to it.

jttheclockman

I have only bought from them what I can't get locally. My local wood store, only 5 miles away, is awesome, but they don't always have everything. This piece was unusual enough that I couldn't say no.

You are more apt to find wood like that than what is actually bloodwood. Some vendors sell what they call bloodwood but it is more brown then red. True bloodwood will not turn brown. It will darken to a deeper red but not brown. I noticed this years ago when woodcraft was selling out many of their turning spindle woods. I bought quite afew and thought I was buying bloodwood but not even close.

To me boards like that need to celebrated with a project that shows off the board. When you cut into small pen blanks, it loses all characteristics.

KenB259

You are more apt to find wood like that than what is actually bloodwood. Some vendors sell what they call bloodwood but it is more brown then red. True bloodwood will not turn brown. It will darken to a deeper red but not brown. I noticed this years ago when woodcraft was selling out many of their turning spindle woods. I bought quite afew and thought I was buying bloodwood but not even close.

To me boards like that need to celebrated with a project that shows off the board. When you cut into small pen blanks, it loses all characteristics.

I agree somewhat, but the board I showed Is only 4 inches wide so I think the grain will show nicely on a pen. Time will tell [emoji4]

Top Bottom