Got the bug...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

SuperDave

... to turn some bottle stoppers for a book on turning. (Excuse the dust particulates...[B)])

Tulip Wood with a Crazy Lace Agate Cabochon

200812915020_Tulipwood%20Stopper.jpg

Congo Teak with a Septarian Cabochon

200812915149_Congo%20Teak%20Stopper.jpg

Black Palm with a Leopard Jasper Cabochon

200812915241_Black%20Palm%20Stopper.jpg

Cocoblol with a Dichroic Glass Cabochon

200812915325_Cocobolo%20Stopper.jpg

200812915433_Cocobolo%20Stopper-2.jpg

Group Shot

20081291554_Stoppers%20Group.jpg

Critiques welcome...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

Originally posted by rhahnfl

The figure on each and everyone of those stoppers is superb. You did a great job with each one of them. For your upcoming show also?

Thanks for the kind remarks, Chris,

Yes they are for the show... sort of.;) I was invited for Pens only... but plan on having them "in my possession" while there. If allowed to display them, I will (My area is dead center next to the Guild Secretary... so don't know exactly how much freedom I will have.) I do plan on having some "printed materials" available for the pens and showing "other stuff" I can make. We'll see how it plays out.;)

karlkuehn

Banned
Okay, I quit! You guys are killing me! [:p]:D

Those are amazing. That's the nicest hunk of tulipwood I've ever seen, and all the intricate turnings are so nice.

I have something to aspire to!

byounghusband

Dave,
Those are SWEET!!!! I really like the form of each one. It really make the wood pop!! That Tulipwood is my fave!! Do you have an end shot of it to really see the Cab?

SuperDave

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

That black palm is a knockout, but the other three are no slouches, either. Where do you get your cabochons, Dave?

Michael,

I got some from CSUSA and the Dichroic Glass off Ebay. Insetting the Cabs is the most difficult part. The recess needs to be just right or you get too big a reveal around the Cab... which looks bad, so you have to alter the design to save the stopper... (from experience...;))

broitblat

Very nicely done. You have some very pleasing shapes and nice choices of cabochons to go with them. Also, a great selection of unusually rich figured woods (especially the tulipwood).

-Barry

tipusnr

Did I understand your first posting correctly? Are you writing a book on making bottle stoppers? If this really comes to fruition please post it so I can break funds free to get a copy. Great work!!

SuperDave

Originally posted by byounghusband

Dave,
Those are SWEET!!!! I really like the form of each one. It really make the wood pop!! That Tulipwood is my fave!! Do you have an end shot of it to really see the Cab?

Bob,

Thanks, I will look to see if I have an end shot... or take one for you;)

Dave

Found this blurry picture... but might take another one.

20081308111_Tulipwood%20Stopper-End.jpg

Dave

SuperDave

Originally posted by UKpenmaker

Very nice set Dave, the Tulipwood is a real stunner.[:0]
It looks a very rich colour on my moniter is it like that in real life[?]

Andrew,

Yes, the Tulipwood is every bit as stunning in real life, even better than the photos. I was fortunate to get a 18" x 1.5" stick some time back and was saving it for some special projects. You don't come across nice specimens too often.

Top Bottom