Got my Buffer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OSCAR15

The compounds you use depend on the materials you are buffing. I would probably stick to white rouge only for wood. To get it on wheel, just hold stick up to turning wheel. Only use ONE type of compound per wheel as tehy have different abrasiveness...OSCAR

wood-of-1kind

Assuming the three(3) are tripoli, white diamond and carnuba. Use them in the correct sequence that I posted. It does make a difference and go easy on the compounds- don't put too much on each seperate wheel.

-Peter-

Pipes

I have 4 buffers and use all kina tripolis and waxes WHITE is the easy one to use and IMO will do the least damage to wood! IF you are new to using a buffer on wood ! I use green a LOT in MY work because it cuts faster but I have devloped a touch over years with a buffer ! One thing forsure only use 1 wheel per type of compound use a wheel for each type you use 1 for say white another for wax I also keep a clean flannel buff for a final finish on a 600 RPM motor off a dryer !!any clean flannel IMO will shine better than white trip using the flannel after the white works great imo ! and remeber a buffer can make a small missle out of what ever your buffing most a the time it a fling it AWAY from you BUT it only takes 1 time to get hurt !! Ima in NO WAY an expert turner ! BUT I have worked with BUFFERS so much with my pipes over the yrs I know some about what they will and will NOT do ! A Buffer or 3 is a GREAT thing in a shop once you know what they will and won't do !! like anything else practice with it ..I buff a LOT a black pipe stems and Black shows every mark so they have to be perfct.. IF you can buff Black rubber or Plastic to glass everthing else is a cake walk IMO !!IF you have any question about a buffer Iam sure someone here can help and I will be glad to pony up my opion for what its worth !and if you want to use a LOT a diffrent compounds later on you can BUY things to put on your lathe with a mt and switch those out fast and not buy a LOT a buffers ...I keep one for silver and metals to slap on my lathe just remember to write on the wheels what your using it for so you don't mix them up !!ANd remember to watch those sewn threads they will cut your work to pieces I use the ones sewn 1 time the multi sewn ones wear to the thread to fast and a wack your work and cut it up ! I buff out pipes worth 100's a $$$ and I can't afford to have a wheel slice up a pipe and NO one wants to make a nice pen and go to finish it and have a wheel thread hit it and ruin it ...and look around for a wheel rake to clean those pads when they load up it a help it cut better and is a must to keep your cloth wheels in shape IMO ! I think me talks to much on this subject but I work all day on buffers on pipes and my tampers and would love to be able to tell you what I have learned about buffers in this thread but it would take a BOOK not just this thread sorry for the over load a comments guys ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom