Gooday from Down Under

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tree Frog

I got hooked on turning when my dad bought home a lathe many many years ago. Then I got a job, moved away, got married, moved around, kids grew up, moved around and then inhereted that old lathe from my dad. But work took more and more time, so I slowly collected the tools for the day that I would retire and be able to turn really big bowls. And then that magic day arrived, I bought a big Stubby lathe and an engine crane to get the blanks onto the lathe. As I was really lowsy at turning, I joined a club and got a little better at turning and tool sharpening, after buying more tools. I could make chips even quicker than when I started. One workshop the club ran was a pen turning day, and it seemed a reasonable thing to do to use up the offcuts from the big bowls. yeh, just offcuts - so I thought. But the stubby was too big really, so a small Vicmarc was required, and a couple of small chisels. I did about 50 pens as give aways on an oversees trip in April/May and got rather enthused by the response. These were all finished with Hutt wax, which looks good initially but doesn't necessarily last, so I moved on to the Beal 3 buff system. It looks better and should last longer, but I have some doubts about the longevity of the finish if recipients really use the pen. I'm now trying CA and micro-mech pads, just finished the first 20 pens and am torn between how glossy they are and the fact that you cant feel the wood any more. Next week I'm entering an exhibition, one bowl and 16 pens. I think this means something, not sure what. Now I though I had finally bought all the tools I need - want for pen turning, but one of the threads is talking about a pen wizard....
I hope to get some ideas from the forum and contribute where possible.

Nice turning to you all

Greg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Welcome Greg, and a big warning, This group will not only expand your ideas of what tools are needed. it will stretch it out in every direction. Including what materials to use, how to handle them, how to drill. and whether you even need pen parts or not.
Enjoy the journey.

SherryD

Welcome to the group, any you are correct in calling them tools not toys like my wife refers to them from time to time. I just got done having to explain this again when I wanted to but the "pen wizard" Took a few hours to convince her it was not a toy. I just received it but have not turned anything yet. There are others that have had theirs a week and are making pens already. Check them out, you will be impressed

My diagnosis the penturning virus
My short term prognosis, your wallet will be relieved of many pieces of paper
My long term prognosis, there is no cure
but welcome anyway, we all have the same condition

Top Bottom