Going To be Ready For the Rubber Room

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Last month I posted about a 15 pen commission I completed for the CEO of the Navy Mutual Aid Association. Just got another commission from him for 76 more for the rank and file at NMAA. The components just arrived today. As before they will be Zens (black ti plating) turned in cherry and engraved with the logo and recipients name. Fortunately they are not due to him until 31 March so I have some time. I will probably do 10 a week, but I bet I'm going to be sick of Zens by the time I complete them all.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Try to develop a production line. Cut the blanks; drill the blanks; scuff the tubes; glue in the brass tubes; trim blanks to length; etc.

This can be mind numbing...

Try to develop a production line. Cut the blanks; drill the blanks; scuff the tubes; glue in the brass tubes; trim blanks to length; etc.

This can be mind numbing...
Already doing this, Randy. All the blanks have been cut, and will assembly line as you suggest for each batch of ten. I did that for the 15 pen order and things went pretty smoothly.

jrista

Congrats!! 76 pens is quite a job!

I have done a number of 20-30 pen batches, and have been working on reconfiguring my workspace to support such jobs. I've been putting together these magnetized holders and containers for kits, kit parts, tubes and blanks, bands and cabachons, etc. I then have various different panels I can attach these to, at different parts of the process, to make it easier to keep things organized and move things along in the process. It's really helped speed things up, when I do bigger jobs like this (although I've never had anything quite like 76 pens at once!)

jcm71

Here are the first 33 of 76 completed. Just waiting for the 5888s to arrive before I ship them out. The lettering under the names are project abbreviations that the person was involved in last year. The remaining 43 have been turned and engraved and are awaiting finishing. I hope to have them done in the next couple of days. The engraving part turned out to be easier than I expected.
IMG_0221.jpeg

jttheclockman

Here are the first 33 of 76 completed. Just waiting for the 5888s to arrive before I ship them out. The lettering under the names are project abbreviations that the person was involved in last year. The remaining 43 have been turned and engraved and are awaiting finishing. I hope to have them done in the next couple of days. The engraving part turned out to be easier than I expected.View attachment 365628
Have to give you credit. You have more patience than I. I am bored and cursing myself for taking the order after the first row of pens. Good job and hope it was worth it. I am sure they will be well received.

howsitwork

Very impressive and looking good so far. Quality result

Think of the pleasure the cheque will bring you ……

Top Bottom