Going almost kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I've done some heavy kit mods, so now I've been looking at going kitless for capped pens, but the stumbling point for me is tap/die for the cap. Multi start tap/die just isn't in the budget at this time, and single start just doesn't seem like a good option (except maybe for a learning pen).

So, what I have been looking at is kits (larger than a Jr) to harvest the threaded parts from, and do the rest myself. I like the El Grande (and similar) front sections, but my concern is the CB looks like plastic (I haven't bought the kit yet for close examination). I would like to turn it down so that none of the original CB is visible - just have the threads inside the tube. I know some threads are made from delrin, and don't take glue well.

Question is, what do you think? Will the the threads press or glue in OK if I turn away all the visible part of the CB?

I'l also be interested in metal plated couplers, as I dont trust the black enamal on the threads to last, if anyone knows of a source.

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbatzi01

I actually tried to turn down the CB of an el grande/Churchill last year. It is possible, but you need to go VERY VERY slowly, and take just whisper thin cuts. It goes fin to you get to the very end. By that point you are feeling pretty confident and then blam-o. it blows apart. It is possible though.

Good luck!
Chris

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've done it with a Baron as well as the El Grande. After a few, you realize the money you'll save in scavenging kits will soon pay for a tap and die, or better yet a metal lathe. Get good at it and you'll be able to make higher end pens with less invested in materials.

soligen

Bruce,

A good thought on the economics - I'll keep that in mind if I happen to make more than a couple like this in 2011. My volume is very small.

Did you guys glue in the CB threads or was the press fit good'n'tight after the mods?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bruce,

A good thought on the economics - I'll keep that in mind if I happen to make more than a couple like this in 2011. My volume is very small.

Did you guys glue in the CB threads or was the press fit good'n'tight after the mods?
I've done it both ways. Depends on the modification. I usually prefer a slip fit and glue with a dab of epoxy rather than a press fit. Less stress on the barrel and minimizes the chance of cracking.

Top Bottom