Gluing up Carbon Fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I made a friend through the IAP in Nevada, Renay. I've been doing some casting for her and she sent me some tubes glued up with Carbon Fiber. They were all glued up in one continuous sleeve. That got me to thinking about a better way than I've been using. Normally I'd cut the sleeve for each individual tube. Since the stuff frays while just looking at it I'd have a couple of inches on each end so I'd get clean ends on the tube. It was also a hassle holding the tube while trying to get the lines straight and evening out the glue. I like using epoxy for that. After seeing the tubes Renay sent I found this to be much easier and less waste of fiber. Questions and comments are Welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 68

jttheclockman

I have done this using a similar method which I learned from CaptG long time ago on this site. I also believe Chad at Turners Warehouse uses this method. It does work but you still have to try to straighten the lines out the best you can. Less waste this way if doing multiples.

Dieseldoc

I made a friend through the IAP in Nevada, Renay. I've been doing some casting for her and she sent me some tubes glued up with Carbon Fiber. They were all glued up in one continuous sleeve. That got me to thinking about a better way than I've been using. Normally I'd cut the sleeve for each individual tube. Since the stuff frays while just looking at it I'd have a couple of inches on each end so I'd get clean ends on the tube. It was also a hassle holding the tube while trying to get the lines straight and evening out the glue. I like using epoxy for that. After seeing the tubes Renay sent I found this to be much easier and less waste of fiber. Questions and comments are Welcome.
Kenny: that is the same process that I have use for long time doing my Stainless Steel Slimline .

Top Bottom