Glues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knifecut

Been reading about "Weldbond Universal" glue, suggested for gluing metal and wood together. This is different from Weldbond Wood glue.

Anyone familiar with this glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I've never heard of it, but I'm a bit of a hermit. fon't get out of my circle much. would it likely be available at the usual places like home depot. or is it a catalogue item?

Daniel

Anyone up for turning your own HOT TUB :)
I don't think I could handle turning something that I was afraid would crush me. I've ran across a picture or two of Vases close to this big being turned also.

Daniel

I went and read the description. it says it dries clear. is this clear enough to help with the seeing through Acrylics situation? I often like the brass showing through the Acrylics. but not the bubbles that Epoxy leaves behind.

knifecut

I haven't found a source for the Weldbond yet, and it doesn't appear anyone else here has used it, so I could't say how clear it dries.

Mike

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />I went and read the description. it says it dries clear. is this clear enough to help with the seeing through Acrylics situation? I often like the brass showing through the Acrylics. but not the bubbles that Epoxy leaves behind.

Daniel

I hunted around for it a bit today but couldn't find it anywhere.
Got a new scroll saw and dremel tool though. but that is for anouther project I am doing.

knifecut

Found the Weldbond in a little hardware store in Springfield VA. They carry things you just don't see in other hardwarre stores. Sort of like the old mom and pop hardware stores of yesteryear.

Put some on black plastic, and it did dry clear where is was't too thick.

Now when I get my new pen kits in, I'll try it on them. Takes time to dry, like poly adhesives.

Daniel

Everybody I ask about it keep trying to give me titebond. there must be something in the water. some of them get pretty presistant. and go into some really great sales pitches for it:) I just thought htis was very funny. happening once or twice would just be a fluke. but this is everywhere. I have the feeling that someone is going to give me a bottle of titebond just cause they can't stand to see me walk out without it.

BubbaBob

Why waste money on high dollar glue? Cheap two part epoxy does a good job...either the 5 min or the 20 min depending on how slow you are.

BubbaBob

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by dw
<br />Anyone using gorilla glue for the tubes?

I eclusively use Gorilla glue (poly urethane)! I like that it expands and fills in any voids. CA is only used on light colored acrylics where the brownish Gorilla glue may show through.
Rudy

knifecut

I've finally managed to put together a few pens using the Universal Weldbond. Works great, but not like the instructions on their web page. It seems to dry quickly on brass (haven't tried on other metals), so I dip my finger in the glue (same texture as Elmers), smear it on the brass tube, set the tube in the wood blank (no preglueing in the blank) and set aside for the next day.

If in a hurry, I recon I'd continue to use the thick CA or a 5 min epoxy.

melchioe

I'm with Rudy - I use Gorilla on almost everything. I was using CA, but the last time I got caught with a fast set and the brass tube partway in, I decided I'd use the less expensive Gorilla. After all, I turn in large part for relaxation - I don't want to get upset over glue...

That said, If I have a need for turning and I have not had a chance to pre-glue blanks, I've been known to use CA still, as long as I'm DARNED sure the holes are well-drilled and I can fit them in. I also am tending to do more translucent pens, and don't like the yellowish/brownish tint Gorilla gives. But overall, I love Gorilla Glue! (note: I am not an employee or representative of Gorilla, just a happy customer who uses it on lots of wood projects that are not pens. It's great for water-exposed applications, like windows and cribs.[8D])

Daniel

Thanks for the info Mike,
I still ahvn't found it around here, but then I've pretty much trailed off on other things. this is one of the features I really like about this sight. this conversation would have been many pages back in the background on the other forums. and although it took weeks to get from the beginning to the end of it, it is still a findable as the day it started. thanks for sticking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom