Glueing tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phil Miller

After sanding the tube I cover it with thick CA. I twist the tube in the blank. My problem is most of the glue is scraped off by the blank leaving very little or no glue on the other end. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I use epoxy. But I also made at least 1000 pens with CA. In the end I decided I preferred epoxy because I every once in a while, I would have the tube seize up partially inserted with CA.

When I did use CA (on wood), I would first saturate the inside of the blank with thin CA, with the belief the thin CA would absorb into the wood, and then apply the thick CA on the tube. I also do not believe there needs to be a machine tight fit between the tube and blank. Make sure you can easily insert the tube, prior to gluing.

Phil Miller

Thank you. I think I will start using epoxy. I like the convince of CA but I too have stuck a couple of tubes And have had a couple of blow outs. I am still new at this so I have a lot to learn.

magpens

I use 5-minute epoxy all the time.

I can the turn the blank .... cautiously .... within about 20 minutes of gluing the tube in.

Yes, a lot of the glue gets scraped off during the tube insertion. .

After I have pushed the tube through the hole, I push the tube out a little bit further past the end of the blank and reapply glue to the poked-out portion.
Then I repeat at the other end. . Have never had a problem with the tube coming loose.

leehljp

Member Liaison
After sanding the tube I cover it with thick CA. I twist the tube in the blank. My problem is most of the glue is scraped off by the blank leaving very little or no glue on the other end. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

You are an observer and a thinker. Good for you.

For most people most of the time, it doesn't matter that much. But if one has two or three blowouts, or one blowout on a delicate and expensive blank, that is one too much.
Here is a link to one blowout yesterday: https://www.penturners.org/threads/blown-up-blank.165756/#post-2082128

IF a person will look at 95% of the blowouts, there will be OBVIOUS signs in the blowout that while the inside of the blank had CA or even epoxy on it, the CA or epoxy was not in contact with both the tube and blank over most of it. As you noticed, CA and or epoxy does not make contact over the vast majority of the area. Most people don't get this or see this. And most of the time it might not matter that much. But on delicate or expensive blanks, it makes a huge difference. That is why a few of us that deal with delicate, expensive or segmented blanks use polyurethane glue because it expands as it cures and make 100% contact and does not let go like CA or epoxy does on its limited contact area.

I use Epoxy and apply it to the tube. Then i insert the tube into the blank, spin it around in the blank, pull the tube out and do the exact same thing on the other end of the blank. Gives me a complete blank full of Epoxy and I've never had any problems. Good luck.

Mortalis

I use epoxy. I apply it to the first half to 2/3 of the end of the tube that will inserted first. I also do a light coat of epoxy in the blank nearer the end the tube will contact last. I use plumbers putty to seal the insertion end. I twist the tube slightly as I insert it and stop when the tube is where I want it.

Top Bottom