glue for intitials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw

I'm getting ready to turn a "classic" pen and pencil set from Berea. I wanted to personalize the set as a gift and bought some of the little half moon initials. The Berea catalog says they are glued on. What glue would be best for this? I have heard that CA can shatter, and poly expands, so...maybe epoxy?

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

I think epoxy would probably be best, but it would be a pain to mix up just a little dab for these letters. I would probably just use thick CA glue. I'm sure it would be up to the job!

Scott.

Daniel

thick CA would be my first suggestion. Seems to me it would be a little easier to apply than the epoxy, although as a general rule I like epoxy for anything that needs to flex.
their is also rubberized CA.for applications that need flexability.
through my bulk by program you can get a 1oz. bottle of it for $3.50
Including all shipping and Postage.
just e-mail me if you are interested.

dw

Scott, Daniel,

Thanks for the replies. Which would make the most permanent bond? One that was unlikely to break off or crack under or around the initials?

Scott

You probably don't need to use so much that it is squeezed up around the initials. CA is pretty permanant, unless you heat it up, in which case you would destroy your pen as well. The place where these initials go is not going to be subject to that hard of abuse, so there should be no problem with them popping out. If you drop the pen and it does pop out, the repair would be easy, just another small dab of CA, and it's back together.

To give you an example of how strong the bond is with CA glue, there has been some discussion on some of the forums about making small cutting or scraping tools using carbide. The best method for doing this is to get some steel rod and grind a flat in one end. Then buy a carbide insert off of Ebay, and use CA glue to attach the carbide cutter to the steel rod. Then if it ever gets dull, you heat it up, pop off the old insert, then glue on a new one after it cools down. If CA can stand up to the stresses of turning, your pen will stand up to the stresses of everyday use without losing your initials.

I hope this helps!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom