Gluboost technical question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

harik.raif

Hi I tend to over analyse. And to be cheap :).
First question. Are the blue and orange chemically exactly alike but change in viscosity? Or are the other differences that would make using both an advantage?
Secondly, is the dryfast stuff required for a proper cure? Or will you have the exact same result with one taking longer? If the later is true, is there a "final" dry time i.e. you need to let it cure for 1 hour, 6 hours, overnight? If the latter is true again, can you avoid the final cure time by using fastdry?
Hope these questions make sense.
Thanks
Raif

Animeozzy

I don't know about the chemical makeup of gluboost. But for small void filling and repair the Gludry accelerator is great. When finishing with Gluboost I have had great results just letting it cure 10min or sometimes I just leave it over night. But if your looking to save money you can just buy the accelerator it works with any CA glue and it won't haze. Just my 2 cents

penicillin

Hi I tend to over analyse. And to be cheap :).
First question. Are the blue and orange chemically exactly alike but change in viscosity? Or are the other differences that would make using both an advantage?
Secondly, is the dryfast stuff required for a proper cure? Or will you have the exact same result with one taking longer? If the later is true, is there a "final" dry time i.e. you need to let it cure for 1 hour, 6 hours, overnight? If the latter is true again, can you avoid the final cure time by using fastdry?
Hope these questions make sense.
Thanks
Raif
The questions make sense, but it is unrealistic to expect anyone here to know the answers, unless they work in the industry. Here are my best responses:

First answer:
I doubt any of us here works for GluBoost, so there is no way to know. I bought a GluBoost medium (blue) and thin (orange) and opened them on the same day about two years ago. The medium blue is starting to yellow, and the thin orange is still crystal clear. Does that say anything about their chemical makeup? I don't know.

If I were you and wanted to know for sure, I would contact GluBoost and ask them:
https://gluboost.com/contact/

Second answer:
GluBoost Fill n' Finish products will cure without GluDry accelerator. I know this because I have done it when I ran out of GluDry. I could not tell the difference in the hardened product between using the accelerator and not using it. It was sufficiently cured within 10 minutes or so to apply the next coat as a finish, but I do not know how long to achieve a full cure. It would also depend on how thick you apply it. "Hard enough to handle" was good enough for me.

It is reasonable to assume that most glues cure on an asymptotic curve with diminishing returns, getting ever closer to some ideal cure but never quite reaching it. The last 0.000001 percent of cure takes 1,000 years and requires specialized equipment to detect the change. 1 hour is plenty, give it six hours if you are fanatic about it, and I bet that overnight will give you 99.9 % of maximum cure hardness, but that is a guess. As some point, people will say, "C'mon, suck it up, and get real!"

Why not experiment for yourself and report back to all of us? Turn a pen blank to a cylinder. Finish it, let it cure, and see for yourself. Do a Rockwell hardness test on the finish. When you're done, turn off the finished part and try another test. You can probably finish a pen blank ten times or more before you have to commit to making it into a real pen. Keep detailed notes. I am sure that everyone here will be on the edge of their seats, waiting to learn the results.

... or contact GluBoost and ask:
https://gluboost.com/contact/

harik.raif

Never claimed to be realistic or reasonable. Often being neither can produce pretty good results. As this case shows.

Top Bottom