GluBoost - "Aah! My Eyes!!" - Any good protection ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

So! I'm highly allergic to CA...well, most forms. StickFast is my bane. Tightbond not good either. Mercury, and Mercury flex, although the flex isn't quite as bad. Most common off the shelf CA glues (not generally used for finish). All of these usually lead to severe breathing and throat constriction issues for me. In 2020, I went through a period of about 4-5 months where I was so bad off, I couldn't sleep, couldn't breathe, no doctors could figure out what was wrong, and I was getting to the point where I was starting to wonder if life was still worth living. That's how bad it was.

As such, I have generally avoided CA...like it was death. Because in the long run, I think it was.

I finally gave GluBoost a try...and I think I'm hooked! First off, best feature: barely any smell, and the faint whiff I got last night (even through my respirator...I am guessing that the pink and mustard organic vapor filters, don't actually bond with and filter out all the volatiles in CA glue?), caused a faint bit of a rough throat, but unlike most others, I did not go into near anaphylactic shock, end up with itchy and painful lungs for days, or have my throat close up on me. So that was huge! The finish looks excellent too (doesn't look like plastic like most of the other CA glues have for me in the past), which is another huge boon.

Today, however, I've run into another issue...this stuff burns the heck out of my eyes... I wear glasses, and I've been trying everything I can to keep the fumes away. I have my dust collection on, fan behind me, and I even put on my face shield for a bit (which I ended up taking off, jkust can't get the detail view I need when applying finish). Even with these measures, it seems even a small amount of the fumes from GB really burn my eyes. I don't know if anyone else has that problem...or if anyone has any recommendations for how to remedy the situation? I've seen those goggles with a rubber rim that will seal against your skin, protecting your eyes...but those don't work when wearing corrective eyeglasses. Not sure of any other options...

Anyway. So far, with my first few finishes, I'm really liking gluboost. The lack of smell, and apparent lack of any severe reaction from my lungs, combined with its totally crystal clear final appearance, is highly appealing. My Pens Plus bottle seems to have finally gone bad, and at nearly $30 and about half wasted (and not the first time that's happened), I'm thinking its time to move on to a different finish. GluBoost seems like its the one...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

The only way you will get away with using the CA will be with a full face mask and a spectacle frame with your prescription that clips inside. 3M make one for the 6000 series full face. https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v101296043/ . They ain't cheap but if that is your only option..... They also have hoses that clip in place of the cartridges if you have a clean pressurized air source. Even more expensive to the Nth power. Other makers of masks likely have similar solutions.
Hope you find a solution.

jrista

The only way you will get away with using the CA will be with a full face mask and a spectacle frame with your prescription that clips inside. 3M make one for the 6000 series full face. https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v101296043/ . They ain't cheap but if that is your only option..... They also have hoses that clip in place of the cartridges if you have a clean pressurized air source. Even more expensive to the Nth power. Other makers of masks likely have similar solutions.
Hope you find a solution.
I have the full face mask. Could never use it, because it fogged up almost instantly and stayed so until I took it off.

I also have the $1300 Sundstrom PAPR, which is powered, has dual filters on a belt-mounted power pack and air intake, and maintained positive pressure and airflow so that it does not fog up... (I went overboard when I first had my problems in 2020...before I figured out what was nearly killing me.)

The Sundstrom is great, and I use it for most things...except...that its organic vapor filters, much like the 3M ones, don't seem to fully filter out CA fumes. Since its powered, and is sucking in air, it can actually be more...dangerous (?) for me than my 3M half face mask? So I generally tend to use the 3M half face.

I wonder, if there are third party filters for the Sundstrom that might do a better filtration job. Or maybe some way to rig up a pre-filter......

jrista

Hmm...I wonder if some kind of water-bearing prefilter might work. CA fumes solidify on contact with moisture...perhaps a few layers of thin damp cloth over the sundstrom filters, would help...

wouldentu2?

Have you tried BSI supergold it's odorless. Have used it for 13 years and did not have that problem afterwards.

Or try Les Elm dipping method.

jrista

Have you tried BSI supergold it's odorless. Have used it for 13 years and did not have that problem afterwards.

The GluBoost is pretty much odorless. And I don't have nearly the reaction to it that I do other CA glues. But it burns my eyes a lot, maybe more than other CA glues. That said, I'm not exactly keen on sucking those fumes into my sundstrom headset...I imagine the greater the quantity of these fumes, even the BSI supergold, that I breathe in, the worse the reaction would get.

Hippie3180

jrista

This is pretty interesting. I've considered using poly for my finishes, but wiping it on never gives that shiny finish. I picked up some spar urethane to try, after watching a video from 2019 on how a guy has been using it for many years to get crystal clear, super shiny finishes that seem to last forever.

He has a particular technique...and now I'm wondering if using the Les Elm dipping method with the spar urethane might work for pens...

Darios

I have the full face mask. Could never use it, because it fogged up almost instantly and stayed so until I took it off.

From a previous hobby of mine, you might have success with a light touch of baby shampoo.

jrista

😯

Ooh! This looks really promising! Any idea what the filters are? Wonder if they would capture CA fumes. If not, I wonder if draping a few layers of damp tight knit cloth might help solidify the fumes and get em out of the air...

Thanks!!

JohnU

I run my vacuum behind the blank, when it's on the lather, to pull the fumes away from me. When I'm working at my blank making table, I have a small fan that clamps to the end of the table and blows across the work areas.

jrista

I run my vacuum behind the blank, when it's on the lather, to pull the fumes away from me. When I'm working at my blank making table, I have a small fan that clamps to the end of the table and blows across the work areas.
How close to your blank do you get your intake? I currently have this Rockler pen intake scoop on there, and i actually can't get it too terribly close. Maybe I need to take that off, and get my intake closer... I guess covering the intake with some damp cloth might not hurt either, that should help nullify the fumes too.

Hippie3180

😯

Ooh! This looks really promising! Any idea what the filters are? Wonder if they would capture CA fumes. If not, I wonder if draping a few layers of damp tight knit cloth might help solidify the fumes and get em out of the air...

Thanks!!
I believe they are impregnated with charcoal. Many folks use them when soldering stained glass.

Curly

I also have the $1300 Sundstrom PAPR, which is powered, has dual filters on a belt-mounted power pack and air intake, and maintained positive pressure and airflow so that it does not fog up... (I went overboard when I first had my problems in 2020...before I figured out what was nearly killing me.)

The Sundstrom is great, and I use it for most things...except...that its organic vapor filters, much like the 3M ones, don't seem to fully filter out CA fumes. Since its powered, and is sucking in air, it can actually be more...dangerous (?) for me than my 3M half face mask? So I generally tend to use the 3M half face.

I wonder, if there are third party filters for the Sundstrom that might do a better filtration job. Or maybe some way to rig up a pre-filter......

If your full face is fogging up you have the wrong size for your face. Go to an industrial safety supplier and have them fit test you for one that fits your mug properly. You may need a different size or even different brand to get a good fit. Then have them look over the safety data sheets of the CA glue to see if you are using the proper cartridge. When you have the proper setup either put the entire mask (after properly cleaning it) or at least the cartridges in a sealed container after the days work. The cartridges continue to absorb stuff from the air and after a week they are not going to work properly and will need replacing. For the Sundstrom verify the cartridges are the proper ones for the chemicals you use and again seal them up when not using them or they become ineffective. The fit and improper or old cartridges might be why you are having problems.

Roly

I work in a well ventilated area witg a small desk fan blowing directly at my work. It makes a noticeable difference from when I forget to turn on the fan.

wouldentu2?

The GluBoost is pretty much odorless. And I don't have nearly the reaction to it that I do other CA glues. But it burns my eyes a lot, maybe more than other CA glues. That said, I'm not exactly keen on sucking those fumes into my sundstrom headset...I imagine the greater the quantity of these fumes, even the BSI supergold, that I breathe in, the worse the reaction would get.
When I apply the CA I use the craft foam method. On a Sierra type I use one drop per coat. The foam does not absorb the CA or get hot or smoke. 5 coats then wet sand if its all covered its done. Open grain woods take more coats. I only use thin and don't use accelerator. It goes on so smooth no ridges, just back and forth until a drag is felt. I apply at 1100 rpm. Give it a try I've probably made 800 pens since I started using this.

JohnU

How close to your blank do you get your intake? I currently have this Rockler pen intake scoop on there, and i actually can't get it too terribly close. Maybe I need to take that off, and get my intake closer... I guess covering the intake with some damp cloth might not hurt either, that should help nullify the fumes too.
Mines a couple inches. It's a home made thing out of scrap plywood to hold the vac hose. The fan could be used on the lathe also. It just clamps to a surface.

Attachments

• IMG_6611.jpeg
    IMG_6611.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6612.jpeg
    IMG_6612.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 51

Muddydogs

Good on you for trying to figure this out, I would have quit the whole CA deal long ago. If your going to continue to mess with CA type glue and since it's basically life or death for you I suggest you become an expert on respirators and filters. Like others have stated it doesn't sound like your getting the right fit or using the right filter.

Most company's won't let an employee put on a respirator and go to work without some training. For the average woodworker worried about saw dust reading the directions that come with the unit and kind of getting the fit right is good enough. Most of the saw dust is being filtered. You on the other hand fall into need it perfect all the time every time.

jrista

Good on you for trying to figure this out, I would have quit the whole CA deal long ago. If your going to continue to mess with CA type glue and since it's basically life or death for you I suggest you become an expert on respirators and filters. Like others have stated it doesn't sound like your getting the right fit or using the right filter.

Most company's won't let an employee put on a respirator and go to work without some training. For the average woodworker worried about saw dust reading the directions that come with the unit and kind of getting the fit right is good enough. Most of the saw dust is being filtered. You on the other hand fall into need it perfect all the time every time.
Yeah, sounds like I need to do some more research. I have kept my 3M half-face respirator in a plastic box, but...my Sundstrom I have not. Now, most of the time, the sundstrom just has dust filters, not organic filters, since I mostly use it when turning larger items. I do have two of the compatible organic vapor filters for it, still in their original packaging. I'll have to figure out a solution to store them when I'm not using them, to maximize their lifetime.

I suspect that is the deal...I wasn't sealing up my Sundstrom filters properly.

That said, even when I use a brand new 3M magenta/mustard organic vapor filter (the highest grade they have of that class as far as I know), I've still smelt CA fumes. I shave before I work, make sure its sealed well around my face. The one thing I've wondered about is, maybe its not actually a filter problem...perhaps its a port problem? The 3M half face mask I have has two input ports with membranes at the filter ports, and then one exhaust output port with a membrane. I've wondered if that membrane sometimes allows fumes through...

I did play around a bit today with a dampened cloth in front of my dust collection intake for the smaller Wen lathe where I make my pens. I think it actually worked well... CA fumes solidify into microscopic beads on contact with moisture, which is what happens in the throat and lungs. (Interestingly, I read an article about plastic particles in human bloodstreams recently...and, I suddenly wondered how much was floating around mine...undoubtedly, quite a lot, because in 2020 before I knew what my problem was, I think I was exposed to all too much CA.) Anyway, by forcing the fumes through this cloth, I think its helping to convert the fumes to solid so they are no longer capable of floating through the air.

jrista

Mines a couple inches. It's a home made thing out of scrap plywood to hold the vac hose. The fan could be used on the lathe also. It just clamps to a surface.
Very clever! I have one of those accordion-like tubes, so I am wondering if I'll be able to just position it right where I need it. If not, though, this should do the trick.

jrista

When I apply the CA I use the craft foam method. On a Sierra type I use one drop per coat. The foam does not absorb the CA or get hot or smoke. 5 coats then wet sand if its all covered its done. Open grain woods take more coats. I only use thin and don't use accelerator. It goes on so smooth no ridges, just back and forth until a drag is felt. I apply at 1100 rpm. Give it a try I've probably made 800 pens since I started using this.
Hmm, craft foam... I am not sure if I'm familiar with that? When I search, I get a whole lot of different kinds of foam...

Muddydogs

I tried this stuff but much prefer a blue shop paper towel for applying CA.
100 Pack EVA Foam Sheets, 5.5 x 8.5 Inch, Assorted Colors (20 Colors), 2mm Thick, by Better Office Products, for Arts and Crafts, 100 Sheets https://a.co/d/0kpr37W

wouldentu2?

Hmm, craft foam... I am not sure if I'm familiar with that? When I search, I get a whole lot of different kinds of foam...
Found at hobby lobby, Michaels, Walmart, in kids arts and crafts sections 2 mm thickness works well. Its about $1.25 for an 8 x 11" sheet

wouldentu2?

This is pretty interesting. I've considered using poly for my finishes, but wiping it on never gives that shiny finish. I picked up some spar urethane to try, after watching a video from 2019 on how a guy has been using it for many years to get crystal clear, super shiny finishes that seem to last forever.

He has a particular technique...and now I'm wondering if using the Les Elm dipping method with the spar urethane might work for pens...
I've used water based poly Enduring and Lacquer.

Top Bottom