Glitter blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Does anyone know of any glitter blanks where the glitter is evenly distributed in the blank. I've bought different ones but the glitter is always denser on two sides and they don't make a pen that I would be happy to sell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Does anyone know of any glitter blanks where the glitter is evenly distributed in the blank. I've bought different ones but the glitter is always denser on two sides and they don't make a pen that I would be happy to sell

magpens

Can't guarantee 100% even distribution ....

.... Check out McKenzie penworks products ...... mckenziepenworks.com/

Tim McKenzie is a member here of IAP.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. In the 2021 PITH exchange one of the members, tsponge1, sent me a very pretty green glitter pen that was very even. I don't know if he made the blank or if it was something commercial, but you might try reaching out to him.

IMG_1764 Cropped.jpg

IMG_1765 Cropped.jpg

Regards,
Dave

MRDucks2

I have purchased some glitter blanks with good distribution that produced a uniform exterior. I am guessing at the time I would have gotten them from Woodturingz. I know if they have glitter blanks that seem layered they sell them in the bargain bin as seconds. They are good folks, you may want to call them and get their feedback. They will be upfront about what to expect. I do both pink and a darker green as I recall.

MRDucks2

I have purchased some glitter blanks with good distribution that produced a uniform exterior. I am guessing at the time I would have gotten them from Woodturingz. I know if they have glitter blanks that seem layered they sell them in the bargain bin as seconds. They are good folks, you may want to call them and get their feedback. They will be upfront about what to expect. I do both pink and a darker green as I recall.

greenacres2

Not glitter, but Diamondcast blanks from McKenzie Penworks have the diamond dust pretty evenly throughout the blank. Not as big as what i'd think glitter to be--but awesome blanks.
earl

Gary Beasley

Ive made some pretty even looking glitter blanks with in tube casting by coating the tube in CA and shaking glitter onto it. I used a piece of all thread and some hdpv cones mounted to it. Works best with a meaty kit style, slimlines never left enough resin to keep the glitter encapsulated.

DJBPenmaker

Just checked and they do have a selection of glitter blanks👍

DJBPenmaker

Ive made some pretty even looking glitter blanks with in tube casting by coating the tube in CA and shaking glitter onto it. I used a piece of all thread and some hdpv cones mounted to it. Works best with a meaty kit style, slimlines never left enough resin to keep the glitter encapsulated.
I've been toying with the idea of casting. Sounds like a good method.

penicillin

I made a few pens using Holographic Black inlace acrylester pen blanks purchased at Rockler. They are tagged as coming from Woodturningz, but I bought them here:
https://www.rockler.com/inlace-acrylester-pen-blank-holographic-black

The blanks are pure black with many tiny colored sparkles of glitter embedded in them and look very classy. The multi-colored glitter is evenly distributed and fairly dense. They were the only ones quite like them at the Rockler store. They polish to a very smooth finish. There may be other colors, too, but the black ones are standouts, in my opinion.

You may also want to look for them at Woodturningz website.

Warning:
The blanks are very brittle and a challenge to turn. My first two had problems with chipping, cracking, etc. After that, they seemed easy. I made several more for friends and family who liked the blank and made requests. I never had one go bad after I figured it out. Use very sharp tools and a very light touch. (They always say that, huh?). Once you get the hang of it, you can do them all day.

Photos: Gastby Twist Gold Titanium pen kit with Holographic Black pen blank. I grabbed the pen from my desk, put it on an orange towel, and shot the photos.This pen was made on 23 May 2019 and was my "everyday pen" for quite a while. I have a stone desk caddy, so some scratches may show - sorry.

Holographic Black Inlace Acrylester Pen.JPG

Holographic Black Inlace Acrylester Closeup.JPG

DJBPenmaker

I made a few pens using Holographic Black inlace acrylester pen blanks purchased at Rockler. They are tagged as coming from Woodturningz, but I bought them here:
https://www.rockler.com/inlace-acrylester-pen-blank-holographic-black

The blanks are pure black with many tiny colored sparkles of glitter embedded in them and look very classy. The multi-colored glitter is evenly distributed and fairly dense. They were the only ones quite like them at the Rockler store. They polish to a very smooth finish. There may be other colors, too, but the black ones are standouts, in my opinion.

You may also want to look for them at Woodturningz website.

Warning:
The blanks are very brittle and a challenge to turn. My first two had problems with chipping, cracking, etc. After that, they seemed easy. I made several more for friends and family who liked the blank and made requests. I never had one go bad after I figured it out. Use very sharp tools and a very light touch. (They always say that, huh?). Once you get the hang of it, you can do them all day.

Photos: Gastby Twist Gold Titanium pen kit with Holographic Black pen blank. I grabbed the pen from my desk, put it on an orange towel, and shot the photos.This pen was made on 23 May 2019 and was my "everyday pen" for quite a while. I have a stone desk caddy, so some scratches may show - sorry.

View attachment 304020

View attachment 304021
Yes that is a good looker. I have turned some very brittle blanks before namely some of the circuit board blanks that were popular but you do get the hang of it eventually. Thanks for taking the trouble to attach a photo.

penicillin

Is that the same "Holographic Black" pen blank as the one I mentioned above, from Woodturningz (sold by Rockler)?

I don't know if you are being too fussy or not, but it is definitely not as uniform as the Holographic Black pen blanks I have turned.

I have also bought various "Glow Stonez" at Rockler. They are another "fun" favorite of mine. They also come from Woodturningz. The glow-in-the-dark "pebbles" in those blanks are not evenly distributed. The lack of uniformity is much worse than what your photos show with the glitter, but they are much larger pebble size. The Glow Stonez blanks look uniform in the daytime. The novelty of the glow-in-the-dark pebbles is well, a novelty. I didn't like it, but I didn't complain.

If I were you, I would contact Woodturningz and ask them about your experience and their own product expectations. It could be that they are unaware of issues like yours. Their phone number is on their home web page:
https://www.woodturningz.com

DJBPenmaker

Is that the same "Holographic Black" pen blank as the one I mentioned above, from Woodturningz (sold by Rockler)?

I don't know if you are being too fussy or not, but it is definitely not as uniform as the Holographic Black pen blanks I have turned.

I have also bought various "Glow Stonez" at Rockler. They are another "fun" favorite of mine. They also come from Woodturningz. The glow-in-the-dark "pebbles" in those blanks are not evenly distributed. The lack of uniformity is much worse than what your photos show with the glitter, but they are much larger pebble size. The Glow Stonez blanks look uniform in the daytime. The novelty of the glow-in-the-dark pebbles is well, a novelty. I didn't like it, but I didn't complain.

If I were you, I would contact Woodturningz and ask them about your experience and their own product expectations. It could be that they are unaware of issues like yours. Their phone number is on their home web page:
https://www.woodturningz.com
No, that one was bought over here in the UK from a reputable supplier. It's advertised as

Kirinite Stardust Glitter Series

I see woodturningz do ship international so it might be worth paying for shipping etc. If I can get good blanks like yours.

Top Bottom