"Giving Back" Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travlr7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travlr7

Several weeks ago, I was passing a home where they had just cut down a Hard Maple tree. I stopped and asked the owner if he minded me taking a couple of pieces. I said that the small stuff had been cut for his fireplace, but that I could have some of the bigger pieces. the trunk was about 30" in Diameter. I took two pieces about 12" thick. Had all I could do to lift them into the back of my van.

I always give something made from given wood back to the giver. That way they have something to remember the tree by. This Pen is from his tree and I'm delivering it today. He doesn't know it's coming. That's fun, too.

2005210165714_Give%20Back%20Maple%20Pen%202-10-05.jpg

I always give them a business card, too. That way, if they want something out of wood or someone likes my pen, well................. It's a good way of getting the word out.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice jesture. A $1.70 slinmline is a much better thank-you than a $4 Hallmark card. I have just recently finished building a new home surrounded by mesquites. My two nest door neighbors have moved into their new homes in the last two weeks and I made one couple a pen each from mesquite cleared from their lot to make room for their house. The other couple gets their pens this weekend. Doing stuff like this is really fun and appreciated.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

low_48

Really nice Bruce. Nice pen, nice gesture! Oh the sound a chainsaw in the neighborhood, it can only mean pens on the lathe in the near future! Congrats!

Rich

Travlr7

I delivered the pen this afternoon. When I rang the bell, I asked if he remembered me. He said yes and was I there for more wood. I said thanks, but not at this time. Then I told him the reason for stopping by. He seemed a little stunned. When he recovered, he said "Thank You." He appeared to really like the pen. He also said that he had never anything like that happen before.

Eaglesc - You're right. While I won't turn down any business generated. I got my reward today. Just the look on his face was enough. BTW Don - not important, but that's not one of Arizona's 1.70 slimlines.

I don't always give a pen. It depends on the situation. I have made bowls, boxes, and vases, too.

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

Bruce

pmichris

Nice gesture. I recently donated some pens to a charity auction and found out that the Uncle of the Girl the auction was for has a tree removal business and is willing to give me a bunch of Burls. The giving comes back :)

its_virgil

Bruce,
I did not mean to imply that is was a $1.70 slimline. I was reporting on what I have done. I apologize if I offended you and I apologize for jumping in on your thread. It was a nice jesture on your part and very thoughtful of you. My apologies.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
BTW Don - not important, but that's not one of Arizona's 1.70 slimlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom