Ghost Pigments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I would like to know if anyone else has had much experience with Ghost Pigments? I received an email last month from Turners Warehouse - there was a well made video demonstrating some Ghost Pigments - it looked pretty cool, so I bought 3 of the colors.
IMG_4793.jpg

I tried to follow the proportions of Pigment to resin that was shown in the video... My results were mixed. I think the blanks look cool. but there is tremendous variation from blank to blank, and even within a single blank.

IMG_4768.jpg IMG_4769.jpg

I made a couple pens using one of these blanks, and the results were not exciting. The Mother of Pearl colors barely show. I am not sure If I needed to use more pigment?
004.JPG 002.JPG

I decided to try using the blanks as components of a segmented blank, which seemed a little more interesting

004.JPG 009.JPG

I guess I would like to know if there are ways to make these pigments "Pop"? Would more powder added to the resin result in stronger color?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

They still look pretty good, but I would guess your results would vary greatly by what color you paint the tube and/or inside of the blank. I'm still trying to figure out what works with that, so I'll not give specific advise about colors.

KMCloonan

They still look pretty good, but I would guess your results would vary greatly by what color you paint the tube and/or inside of the blank. I'm still trying to figure out what works with that, so I'll not give specific advise about colors.
Thanks Todd - I am also working on this. The photo of the sierra style pen shows more color than the others - I painted the inside of the blank with a light purple paint. It seemed to set off more of the blue in the Ghost Pigment.

Alan Morrison

Kevin, I cannot comment on pigments as I have never used them, but I like the design of your segmented one at the bottom.
However, and maybe it's the photography, the red veneer is too strong a colour and takes the eye from the piece that should be showcased.

JohnU

First off, I thing your efforts paid off! The feeling you're having is what pushes you to find what works for you. I've use similar pigments and added my adaptations to pours by adding darker colors with them in tue pour. There are blanks I've seen out there that look great as blanks but lose something when turned thin or down to pen size. If you think they need more pigment, something to try is, after you mix the powder in the cup of resin, place a small down rod against the inside wall of the clear cup, so you can see it through the cup wall. Then slowly move it inward away from the cup wall. If the stick disappears as soon as you move it, you have enough mica. If you can see it through 1/8" or more of mixed resin, you might want to add more mica. I usually tend to add more than I need but I'd rather do that instead of using more for a second pour because the first didn't work out.

If it were me, I might try a small cup of black, purple or blue solid colored resin and drizzle a little in the mold as I alternated pouring the ghost colors. Pour it at 115°-120° to keep good separation. It would give it some dark lines to compliment the light tones. (Just my opinion). The segments look great!
Keep up the great work! You're on your way!

KMCloonan

Kevin, I cannot comment on pigments as I have never used them, but I like the design of your segmented one at the bottom.
However, and maybe it's the photography, the red veneer is too strong a colour and takes the eye from the piece that should be showcased.
Alan, I completely agree. I will try a thinner divider next time, and probably a more neutral color.

KMCloonan

First off, I thing your efforts paid off! The feeling you're having is what pushes you to find what works for you. I've use similar pigments and added my adaptations to pours by adding darker colors with them in tue pour. There are blanks I've seen out there that look great as blanks but lose something when turned thin or down to pen size. If you think they need more pigment, something to try is, after you mix the powder in the cup of resin, place a small down rod against the inside wall of the clear cup, so you can see it through the cup wall. Then slowly move it inward away from the cup wall. If the stick disappears as soon as you move it, you have enough mica. If you can see it through 1/8" or more of mixed resin, you might want to add more mica. I usually tend to add more than I need but I'd rather do that instead of using more for a second pour because the first didn't work out.

If it were me, I might try a small cup of black, purple or blue solid colored resin and drizzle a little in the mold as I alternated pouring the ghost colors. Pour it at 115°-120° to keep good separation. It would give it some dark lines to compliment the light tones. (Just my opinion). The segments look great!
Keep up the great work! You're on your way!
John,
Thanks for the great advice. I will probably do another pour this evening and make sure I use enough Mica, and a bit of darker resin for accent. Thanks again!

Top Bottom