Getting the tool rest parallel to the ways

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimsWorkshop

I'm pretty new at using my lathe but it seemed to me that if you want to turn a near perfect cylinder, you want to clamp your finger around the tool shaft and use them as a guide as you slide along the tool rest. OK, but that only works if you get the tool rest parallel to imaginary line between the two centers. I've tried eyeballing it, but it the stock is pretty rough, it gives a false indication and poor results. I've tried to use a ruler to measure the left end of the rest to the drive center and the right end to the live center, but that is awkward at best. How do you guys (and gals) do this? Am I missing something really simple? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just a couple little tricks I use at times and this one is basically how I do all my straight round stock. I part down the two ends to the desired size needed. Now this gives me the center portion that I can see what I need to turn down. As I get close I use a straight edge from end to end and look to see what needs more turning. As mentioned the more you do this the easier it gets. another trick turners use is to get an open end wrench the size that matches what you need. Start on the end and keep turning till the wrench slides all the way across. Keeping a close tolerance. This gets you in the ball park

greenacres2

I'm trying to get better at sighting the ends of the tool rest to the visible edge of the bed ways. My impediment is that i think my Mom was right when she said my head wasn't screwed on straight. :>)
earl

leehljp

Member Liaison
I never thought about the tool test needing to be parallel to the pen, even though it usually is. It is like the ones above replied. Eyeballing and practice. The ability for straight or curves is in the eye-hand coordination from practice/experience. Relying on the parallel tool rest "can" work, but will probably lock you into a limited set of designs - if that is all the movement you can do.

Mortalis

I've never tried to get the tool rest absolutely parallel with the bed of the lathe. It's all in consistency of rubbing the bevel.

Top Bottom