getting started in casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

I finally decided to get into casting. I hope to make embedded object blanks for sale. I didnthe sampler pack of pearlex't know what colors to choose so I got the sampler packs of pearlex and alumilite dyes to start with. I also got a few individual colors for ideas I have. In order to see the true color of resulting casts, I made 1 oz samples of each color using 0.006 oz of pigment for each. Some of the samples are so dark that they appear to be black when thick. I intend to turn a hollow tenon on each to see what they look like when thin. Here is a pic of my color board and the first sample that I have turned.
100_2926.JPG100_2927.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Sounds pretty methodical, and a good reference tool.

Can I ask which pressure pot you decided on? I am starting to look for another pot, maybe a little larger than the one I have.

pssherman

I have the pressur pot from Harbor Freight. It is a 2 1/2 gallon size. I've rigged it up so that I can apply vacuum or pressure without having to disconnect anything.

pssherman

Some of the casts that I will do involvle embedding objects in the resin. The acorn caps, sweet gum balls and mini pine cones will trap air in them. The vacuum will expand the trapped air allowing it to float to the top. Then when the pressure is applied any rremaining air will be colapsed to a much smaller volume. The vacuum will only be applied for a short time then pressure will be applied. I hope to minimize or eliminate the voids caused by trapped air. I will be using alumilite clear slow for the resin.

its_virgil

Some of the casts that I will do involvle embedding objects in the resin. The acorn caps, sweet gum balls and mini pine cones will trap air in them. The vacuum will expand the trapped air allowing it to float to the top. Then when the pressure is applied any rremaining air will be colapsed to a much smaller volume. The vacuum will only be applied for a short time then pressure will be applied. I hope to minimize or eliminate the voids caused by trapped air. I will be using alumilite clear slow for the resin.
Stay focused and work fast. You will have no time to waste. I've been casting for years(20+) Done it all: clear, colors, multiple colors, hybrids of all kinds.. Used all of the popular resins. How will you insure the resin will be contained back into the mold after the vacuum is released? Maybe I'm missing something but my experience with vacuum and resin is "Wow! What a mess". Keep us informed on how it goes. Seems that not being able to see inside while pulling vacuum would be a problem. I've just never needed to vacuum while casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JohnU

It's a good thought Paul but like Don said, you will have to work fast. In all honesty, I've cast every embedded object I could get my hands on and never had a problem with air around them under pressure as long as I got it under pressure early enough. By using vac then pressure, you may creat more problems than solutions. Like said above. Not being able to see the resin while using vacuum will be an issue because it expands and bubbles up so much that you really need to see when to release the vac so you don't overflow the mold. Also, by taking more time to pull the vac, you postpone how quick you get it under pressure, increasing the problem of reducing air. This can be a problem if using more than one color of resin since you'll want to wait for the resin to reach a warmer temp before pouring, to keep some color separation. I would suggest trying it without the vac first to see if it's necessary with what you're casting.

Top Bottom